Windows 7 Search for ODT files not found (Ver 4.1.7)

Discuss the word processor
David12846

Windows 7 Search for ODT files not found (Ver 4.1.7)

Post by David12846 »

I can not find ODT files in Windows 7 search based on text within ODT files. Windows Indexing is using "OpenDocument Format Filter" and "Index Properties and File Content" is selected.

I have rebuilt the index. No luck. I stopped and restarted Windows Search in "Services". No luck.

I downloaded a tool (SearchFilterView). For the Description "OpenDocument Format Filter", it shows the filename ooofilt_x64.dll and the odt file extension is shown in the bottom window. In the top window I also see the Description "Microsoft Filter for Open Document Format" with the filename odffilt.dll. For this entry, no extensions are listed in the bottom window.

Occasionally I will save an odt file as both odt and doc. I can find the doc files in Windows search, but not the odt files.

I vaguely recall at least 8-10 months ago I could find odt files. Normally I look for pdf files (I have a pdf filter), but lately I need to search for odt files. I hope someone can guide me on what to do.

I have Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit.
OpenOffice Version 4.1.7.

David
OOo 4.1.9 on Ms Windows 7
John_Ha
Volunteer

Re: Windows 7 Search for ODT files not found (Ver 4.1.7)

Post by John_Ha »

1. Create a new .odt file with zebra in it. Can you find it searching for zebra?

If not

2. Uninstall AOO.

3. Reset the profile - see Resetting the user profile.

4. Download and install AOO.

Does it now work?

If so, copy back the profile folder by folder checking it still works.

Running Windows 7 is now a severe security risk.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
David12846

Post by David12846 »

John_Ha,

Created a new odt file with "zebra" (minus the quotes). Windows did not find the file.

I did not mention it but I previously reset my profile as suggested in the link (Step #3 in your suggestion), but I did not remove and reinstall OO (Step 2 and 4). I'll reset my profile again then uninstall and re-install OO.

David
David12846

Post by David12846 »

John_Ha,

I have now done Steps 1 through 4 as you suggested. Windows still does not find my zebra file.

In my Indexing Options, the location labeled as "Users" (where most of my files are) has "Exclude" for AppData. AppDate is where my Profile is located. Should the folder "AppDate" be included in my indexing? I don't recall why that folder was excluded.
Index.jpg
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

No, keep your profile excluded. Your file is not there.
I've found this one: [Solved-Workaround] Windows indexing problem with some links in the topic.
Else, you can use a 3rd party application. I use DocFetcher, it's very good.

Please add [Solved] at the beginning of the title in your first post (top of the topic) with the *EDIT button if your issue has been fixed.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

I don't know the name of the AOO filter to search to see if it is installed. I run LO and downloaded SearchFilterView giving me the following.

You need someone running AOO on Windows to do the same check to find the AOO filter name.
Clipboard01.gif
It looks like it is a Windows problem. AOO includes the filter and installs it when AOO is installed so, as you reinstalled AOO, you should have it. The Search service is running because other searches work. So the filter is there and presumably correctly installed but for some reason Windows doesn't want to use it.

The other threads suggest that AOO writes a temporary folder. Is AOO prevented from creating, or writing to, that folder?

I think that AOO indexes the document when it is saved and inserts the words in the index. I do not know how Windows tracks the file when it is later renamed and/or moved to a different location but it does.

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

One user with this problem reported that indexing would work in Safe Mode, so something that loads when Windows is started normally may be blocking the iFilter installed by AOO:

Re: AOO files not indexed - not possible to search
AOO 4.1.14 on Ubuntu MATE 22.04
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

David12846 wrote: it shows the filename ooofilt_x64.dll
AOO is a 32-bit program. Can you find something like ooofilt.dll in C:\Program Files (x86)\OpenOffice 4\... as it should be the filter required.

RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Was it Copernic (some years ago) that used be able to search within OpenOffice files?
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
David12846

Post by David12846 »

I'll investigate the replies from today (Feb10th) later this evening, but I found the following a bit interesting.

As stated earlier, Windows would NOT find the odt file with the word "Zerba" on my computer. This morning I was looking for a file on my portable Hard Drive with the word "Dewey" (as in Dewey decimal). My portable Hard Drive is not indexed. Windows found the pdf file the word was in :) , but it also found the odt file!! :shock: . I copied the "Zebra" odt file to my portable hard drive and Windows found it:
Search Portable HD.jpg
I'm beginning to think something is wrong with my index (maybe the "Exclude" for the AppData?), rather than a problem with my odt filter. I had Windows rebuild my index a few days ago so I doubt it is corrupt already.

David
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

John_Ha wrote:
David12846 wrote: it shows the filename ooofilt_x64.dll
AOO is a 32-bit program. Can you find something like ooofilt.dll in C:\Program Files (x86)\OpenOffice 4\... as it should be the filter required.
I have just looked at an AOO installation and AOO supplies both ooofilt_x64.dll and ooofilt.dll presumably for 32- and 64-bit Windows.

Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

David12846 wrote:I'm beginning to think something is wrong with my index (maybe the "Exclude" for the AppData?), rather than a problem with my odt filter.
Excluding AppData is not the problem unless you've deliberately saved your document files in AppData instead of the standard folders provided for user document files.

Since AppData is listed 3 times in the exclusions, I assume that there are at least 3 accounts on the computer. Is the problem happening with all accounts? If it's only happening with one account, then the account itself may be corrupted.
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

1. Try Safe Mode
2. Rebuild the index
3. Google for the Windows 7 search Index troubleshooter. See The Com­plete Guide to Fix­ing Win­dows 7 Search Index­ing Issues

David12846

Post by David12846 »

1. I tried Safe Mode. Windows search found my "Zebra" odt file.
2. I rebuilt the index. Before rebuilding, I looked to see which folders were being indexed. My original screenshot showed several "AppData" entries as being excluded. That was because all my accounts were being indexed. Since I do not save files I'd be searching for to those accounts, I removed all the extra accounts from being indexed.
3. I looked at the "Windows 7 search index troubleshooter". I did not need to make any adjustments.

There was a post elsewhere that said if Windows Search works in Safe Mode, then one of the applications which starts when the PC boots is causing the problem. I'll look into this via msconfig.exe.

David
David12846

Post by David12846 »

John_Ha (et al),

I finally had time to play with my msconfig. When I disabled Carbonite (and only Carbonite) in "Start-up", Windows Explorer was able to find my "Zebra" odt file. Carbonite is the program I use to back-up my files to the cloud. Carbonite does NOT back up my Windows index or anything else in the "Windows" folder.

I'll look through some Carbonite help files and see if I can find something related to Windows Indexing.

David
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

You probably should search the forum for "Carbonite". Other users have reported problems with OpenOffice when Carbonite was running.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

The name "Carbonite" rings a bell; it was mentioned perhaps 8/9 years ago on Forum and at that time it gave some unwanted side effects, - I cannot at this remove of time remember what they were. Use Forum search (top right of Forum windows) to search for those references.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS