Simple list of supported video formats in OO3?

Discuss the presentation application
rowzain

Simple list of supported video formats in OO3?

Post by rowzain »

Is there a simple, up to date list of which video file formats that can be embedded into OO3 impress presentations (with or without the help of some extra extension or tool)?
If there is, please direct me to it. Or just post that info right in this thread.

The OO3 help file does not have an entry for "movie". The entry for "videos" says nothing about supported formats.
OOo 3.0.X on Ms Windows XP
acknak

Re: Simple list of supported video formats in OO3?

Post by acknak »

I think OOo depends on the Java Media Framework (JMF) to handle media, so this should be relevent:

JMF 2.1.1 - Supported Formats
http://java.sun.com/javase/technologies ... rmats.html
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

issue 33946 wrote:OOo 2.0 will use DirectShow (Windows) and/or Java Media Framework (other
platforms) to play media files (there will be efforts to support other backends
as well (such as mplayer, xine,...).
http://qa.openoffice.org/issues/show_bug.cgi?id=33946

So you don't need the Java multimedia stuff on Windows. Analogue to fonts everything depends on the stuff you have installed on the system. I don't use multimedia in office documents but everytime I install a new codec under Linux, all the mediaplayers support it immediately.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
acknak

Post by acknak »

Good point, V. Thanks for the information!
rowzain

Post by rowzain »

Thank you both!

A quick follow up question: for the videos that can be embedded (like a .wmv video I'm currently testing on my Win XP system), are there and options (built in or through extensions) to control when to start/stop the video? If I just do "Insert > Movie and Sound" then the video starts playing as soon as its slide is started. That is so even if I set the video object (via a custom animation action) to only appear a few steps later in that same slide. It still plays right away.

edit: found this issue on exactly that problem http://qa.openoffice.org/issues/show_bug.cgi?id=84531
acknak

Post by acknak »

Have you tried inserting a link to the video file, instead of embedding it? I'm not sure exactly what that will do when you click on the link, but it might be worth a try.

Oh wait, I seem to recall that hyperlinks aren't active when the presentation is running... ack!
rowzain

Post by rowzain »

On my system it is possible to insert a link to the video file like so: Slide Show > Interactions... > Run program : (path to video file)
The link can be clicked during when displaying the presentation. It then opens the video in the default external video player associated with that filetype (VLC in my case). So it works. But embedding fits better in with the rest of the presentation than an external window popping up so that's why I wanted to get that working.
acknak

Post by acknak »

Slide Show > Interactions... > Run program
Nice! Thanks for the tip.