[Solved] Is it possible to have a cell be a date picker?

Discuss the spreadsheet application
hypGnosis

[Solved] Is it possible to have a cell be a date picker?

Post by hypGnosis »

is it possible, in OO Calc, to have a cell dedicated to function as a Date Picker, i.e., clicking on the cell opens a calendar initialized to the current month?

The Date Picker need not assign a picked date to any particular cell.

I just want to verify that the date I am going to enter in a regular/normal cell that has a date format, that the day I enter is, for example, a Sunday.
Last edited by MrProgrammer on Tue Mar 10, 2020 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Tagged ✓ [Solved]
OpenOffice 4.1.7 on Windows 10
MrProgrammer

Re: Is it possible to have a cell be a date picker

Post by MrProgrammer »

hypGnosis wrote:is it possible, in OO Calc, to have a cell dedicated to function as a Date Picker
This is not a standard feature of Calc. You may be able to find and extension for that.
hypGnosis wrote:I just want to verify that the date I am going to enter in a regular/normal cell that has a date format, that the day I enter is, for example, a Sunday.
Use Format → Conditional Formatting to set the cell with, say, a bright orange background if the day of the week is other than Sunday. Read about C.F. in Help → Index or in User Guides (PDF) or searching for topics about it in the Calc Forum. A quick forum search for your initial question would have found these topics:

If this solved your problem please go to your first post use the Edit button and add [Solved] to the start of the title. You can select the green checkmark icon at the same time.

[Tutorial] Ten concepts that every Calc user should know
Mr. Programmer
AOO 4.1.7 Build 9800, MacOS 13.6.3, iMac Intel.   The locale for any menus or Calc formulas in my posts is English (USA).
hypGnosis

Post by hypGnosis »

Thank you MrProgrammer, so very much!

What would seem ideal would be to have an "Insert Date" icon up in the tool bar, so that the user could/would select a cell, then pop open the icon, pick the date, touch <tab> or <enter> ... and the date would appear in the selected cell.

I will follow up on the "Not-a-Sunday" routine. It seems to be a worthwhile error prevention routine.
OpenOffice 4.1.7 on Windows 10
Zizi64
Volunteer

Post by Zizi64 »

What would seem ideal would be to have an "Insert Date" icon up in the tool bar, so that the user could/would select a cell, then pop open the icon, pick the date, touch <tab> or <enter> ... and the date would appear in the selected cell.
The LibreOffice Calc has a similar function: you can insert the actual date into the selected cell by usage the menu item:
Insert - Date. The AOO has not such function.
The value will not refresh when you open the document again on a next day. (This feature is not same as the =TODAY() cell function.)
Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO7.5.8 /Win7-10 x64Prof.
PortableApps/winPenPack: LO3.3.0-7.6.2;AOO4.1.14
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
Zizi64
Volunteer

Post by Zizi64 »

I just tried:
the DatePicker extension (named as "Calendar for Calc", written in Python) works for me in my LO 6.2.8. Only the localization is nor changed, when I switched to English in the LO. The locale of the extension stayed Hungarian (as my Op. Sys is Hungarian)
DatePicker.png
You can download, install and try it:
https://extensions.libreoffice.org/exte ... r-for-calc
Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO7.5.8 /Win7-10 x64Prof.
PortableApps/winPenPack: LO3.3.0-7.6.2;AOO4.1.14
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.