[Solved] Disapearing information from Ubuntu .config

Issues with installing under all GNU/Linux Distributions
dreamquartz

[Solved] Disapearing information from Ubuntu .config

Post by dreamquartz »

Hi All,

Something strange is happening with my install of LO 6.3.4.2 under Ubuntu 18.04 LTS and extensions.
The following extensions are installed:
- FreeHSQLDB-0.3.7
- template-changer-1.2.7c

Totally randomly these installs disappear.
Trying to reinstall some message similar to the 2 attached screen shot appears.
The only thing I can do is to remove my profile and re-create my profile to be able to re-install these 2 extensions.

Any idea what causes this issue and how to prevent it?

Dream
Attachments
Screenshot from 2020-01-04 21-04-48.png
Screenshot from 2020-01-04 21-05-15.png
Last edited by dreamquartz on Mon Feb 10, 2020 8:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LO 7.x, HSQLDB 2.7.x & Ubuntu 22.04 LTS.
RoryOF

Re: Disapearing information from Ubuntu .config

Post by RoryOF »

I can't say with any specificity for LibreOffice, but it might be that you are powering off the computer too quickly, before the LibreOffice housekeeping information has been flushed from the hard disk's internal buffers to the actual disks.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

When you write "at random", does this happen in course of use, or at startup?
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Also: file system used on Ubuntu?

In a terminal

Code: Select all

sudo lsblk -f

or

gparted

will tell you.

With gparted be careful not to change any parameters. You are merely looking for information.
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

I encountered problems with the profile when I used 6.3 and sometimes the ppa version 6.0. Now I keep tow separate profiles ~/.config/libreoffice/4/user/ for the ppa version and ~/.config/libreoffice/6/user/ for the manually installed.
sudo gedit /opt/libreoffice6.3/program/bootstraprc
UserInstallation=$SYSUSERCONFIG/libreoffice/6
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
dreamquartz

Post by dreamquartz »

RoryOF wrote:Also: file system used on Ubuntu?

In a terminal

Code: Select all

sudo lsblk -f

or

gparted

will tell you.

With gparted be careful not to change any parameters. You are merely looking for information.
Thanks RoryOF,

See attached.
See also answer to Villeroy above.

Dream
Attachments
lsblk -f.png
dreamquartz

Post by dreamquartz »

Villeroy wrote:I encountered problems with the profile when I used 6.3 and sometimes the ppa version 6.0. Now I keep tow separate profiles ~/.config/libreoffice/4/user/ for the ppa version and ~/.config/libreoffice/6/user/ for the manually installed.
sudo gedit /opt/libreoffice6.3/program/bootstraprc
UserInstallation=$SYSUSERCONFIG/libreoffice/6
Did do the same thing indeed.
Was getting tired of it.

Does mean that I have to update my Dictionary every time though.
I can live with that.

It is still annoying.

Since I indicated it as OP, it happened once.

I am trying to pinpoint the issue as RoryOF indicates.

Dream
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

I notice you are using an NVME storage system. I found some references to instability of files on NVME systems, such as
https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/c ... t_to_whea/

As I am using old-fashioned steam-driven hard disks I cannot comment on how valid this problem is, but I suggest you follow it up.
dreamquartz

Post by dreamquartz »

Hi RoryOF,

Interesting info.

It happens on a HP 13" Pavilion Laptop running only Ubuntu 18.04 LTS. I have the other version of LO running on Windows 7 PRO, but use it hardly. Way more unstable combination. DataBases corrupt regularly on that combo.
Only use it when really needed with lots and lots of syncs and/or backups in between. Don't want to spend time on investigating how to improve on that.
I use "steam driven" too for data. There is no important data on the Windows machine. Data is only on external drives, far away, far away ..... from Windows, LOL. On the Ubuntu Laptop important data is on encrypted partitions. Backups on a daily bases and sometimes more frequent on a designate backup partition. Sync with USB drive and the "steam operated" drives. There is even a automatic sync between 2 "steam driven drives".

Redundancy is the key word here.

Dream.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

OpenOffice is running locally, on one of the NVME units? If so, I'd follow up on that NVME file loss note I pointed you to.

Note that automatic sync, if not saving a timed/dated version, can overwrite a good sync with a bad one; you should always have at least one old sync in addition to the current one.
dreamquartz

Post by dreamquartz »

Cause of issue: crashing of LibreOffice.

Because I use Base as front end for my split DataBases, it appears to be an integration/communication issue between my DataBases, Base, and therefore LO.
Do not know exactly when it happens, but there are some instability issues.
1. Freezing/Locking up, inability to open a new document by clicking on it when in Nautilus (banner starts to flicker, and nothing works anymore. Have to use 'xkill', or 'System Monitor' to kill 'soffice.bin'). Note: will open new thread on this one.

2. After a having opened different documents simultaneously, long response times of all the documents opened start occurring, specifically with my DataBases.
Response times for my DataBaes can sometimes be reduced by hitting the 'Save'-button, but not always.

By xkilling or killing soffice.bin, it often happens that 'LirebeOffice' becomes corrupt as such that the moment the Office Suite is opened again, installed macros 'Free HSQL 0.3.7' (coming from a good source: Villeroy), and 'Template Changer 1.2.7' have disappeared (I just found out that it happened again, because I wanted to be sure of the spelling of the names of the macros, and they had disappeared). What does not happen, however, when 'LibreOffice' corrupt, is that the 'Recent Documents' list disappears.

Solution to re-occurring issue.
Backup of .config under Ubuntu; Clean copy of folder 'LibreOffice' in .config for easy replacement.

The situation is beyond annoying, but cannot complain about the suite itself. I love to use it.

Dream

I call the issue SOLVED for now. If there is new input or suggestions, I am happy to open this one up again.
RoryOF

Re: [solved] Disapearing information from Ubuntu .config

Post by RoryOF »

You say "after having opened different document simultaneously"; try running a System Monitor (Task Manager, perhaps) and see how much memory is being used (RSS column in Task Manager); it may be that you are running out of memory.