Mass formatting pasted content

Discuss the spreadsheet application
tamariszk

Mass formatting pasted content

Post by tamariszk »

Hi All,

I'm a little bit stuck. I'm creating a bibliography in LibreOffice Calc by copying and pasting the elements from an already existing ODT file. However, when it comes to formatting, the cells that contain pasted elements can only be formatted individually - if I select the whole column and press Ctrl+I or try to change the font size, nothing happens. This is a bit inconvenient, I really don't feel like clicking each of the 100+ cells and format them individually. :knock: Is there a solution to this?

Thanks,
Maria
LibreOffice 6.3 on Windows 10
FJCC

Re: Mass formatting pasted content

Post by FJCC »

Try selecting all of the cells and then using the menu item Format -> Default Formatting (that is the menu structure in OpenOffice. I do not have LibreOffice on this computer.) That will remove all of the formatting currently in place and give you a clean state from which to begin. It would be best to then set the cell formats using cell styles that can be defined and applied with the menu Format -> Styles and Formatting. You can apply the formatting directly if you want to but using styles is the preferred method.
OpenOffice 4.1 on Windows 10 and Linux Mint
If your question is answered, please go to your first post, select the Edit button, and add [Solved] to the beginning of the title.
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

Since you are using LibreOffice, your data are in Writer tables just as well (or badly) saved as in Calc. For a bibliography database other than the existing one you can simply connect a Base document to the Writer document. This is not an option with OpenOffice.
This database can feed your text documents with bibliographic data. All formatting is done in the final output, not in the database and not in the source tables.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

tamariszk wrote:if I select the whole column and press Ctrl+I or try to change the font size, nothing happens.
That works fine for me in AOO whether I select the entire column or just some cells, so should work in LO.
Villeroy wrote:Since you are using LibreOffice, your data are in Writer tables just as well (or badly) saved as in Calc. For a bibliography database other than the existing one you can simply connect a Base document to the Writer document. This is not an option with OpenOffice.
This database can feed your text documents with bibliographic data. All formatting is done in the final output, not in the database and not in the source tables.
AOO Help, for I think what Villeroy calls "the existing one", says
Creating a Bibliography

A bibliography is a list of works that you reference in a document.

Storing Bibliographic Information

OpenOffice stores bibliographic information in a bibliography database, or in an individual document.

To Store Information in the Bibliography Database

1. Choose Tools - Bibliography Database.
2. Choose Insert - Record.
3. Type a name for the bibliography entry in the Short name box, and then add additional information to the record in the remaining boxes.
4. Close the Bibliography Database window.

To Store Bibliographic Information in an Individual Document

1. Click in your document where you want to add the bibliography entry.
2. Choose Insert - Indexes and Tables - Bibliography Entry.
3. Select From document content and click New.
4. Type a name for the bibliography entry in the Short name box.
5. Select the publication source for the record in the Type box, and then add additional information in the remaining boxes.
6. Click OK.
7. In the Insert Bibliography Entry dialogue box, click Insert, and then Close.

When you save a document that contains bibliography entries, the corresponding records are automatically saved in a hidden field in the document.

Inserting Bibliography Entries From the Bibliography Database

1. Click in your document where you want to add the bibliography entry.
2. Choose Insert - Indexes and Tables - Bibliography Entry.
3. Select From bibliography database.
4. Select the name of the bibliography entry that you want to insert in the Short name box.
5. Click Insert and then click Close.
See Chapter 12 - Tables of Contents, Indexes, and Bibliographies in the Writer Guide.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

Sometimes it is too hard to understand what people are trying to do because they work so stubbornly around the tools instead of using them.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice