What is the best antivirus?

Issues with installing under all versions of MS Windows
pinari

What is the best antivirus?

Post by pinari »

What is the best and longest lasting antivirus software? I would like an antivirus software program that lasts 2 to 3 years, if possible.
Last edited by pinari on Fri Jun 26, 2009 12:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hagar Delest

Re: What is the best antivirus?

Post by Hagar Delest »

If you're running Mepis (as shown by your profile), you don't really need one IMHO.

If you're talking about Windows (where you've posted), there are tons of free applications for that, just check the reviews and select the one you like. Make some tests if needed. But never run 2 ones at the same time.

Used to install Avast home edition when I was under Windows.

Thanks to add '[Solved]' at beginning of your first post title (edit button) if your issue has been fixed.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
TheGurkha
Volunteer

Post by TheGurkha »

'Best' is subjective.

I like the free version of AVG.
Ubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn, LibreOffice Version: 4.3.3.2
Gurkha Welfare Trust
dilinmuham

Post by dilinmuham »

Best Antivirus for me is Kaspersky. I'm using it for last 2 and half years and it is serving me very well. In between i tried Avast and NOD 32 also both are good but i find Kaspersky as the better one than both of them. And always try to avoid using free version , so that you can protect your PC well.
OpenOffice.org 3.1 on Windows 7
esperantisto
Volunteer

Post by esperantisto »

There is no “best” antivirus. Actually, what matters is not the program per se, but its antivirus bases. If you update them regularly, you can have a reasonably high level of protection. But as long as you use Microsoft Windows, you are not 100% safe due to certain faults in the design of that OS. If you want to completely avoid viruses, use Linux or BSD.
AOO 4.2.0 (of 2015) / LO 7.x / Win 7 / openSUSE Linux Leap 15.4 (64-bit)
John_Lee

Post by John_Lee »

I am an IT student and used several antiviruses software in the last 14 years. I used Avast, quick heal, Kaspersky, Avira, Norton so I knew all the pros and cons of that antivirus software. I always prefer the paid version because it has many features or benefits
. So that is the reason I do not prefer a free version of antivirus and in my opinion, AVAST PRO is the best out there, I always trust AVAST.
Last edited by RusselB on Wed Nov 27, 2019 10:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: URL removed
OpenOffice 2.4 on Ubuntu 9.04
RusselB

Post by RusselB »

Having tried most of the other programs listed by other posters (exception being quick heal, which I'd never heard of before), my preference is MalwareBytes Pro.
OpenOffice 4.1.7, LibreOffice 7.0.1.2 on Windows 7 Pro, Ultimate & Windows 10 Home (2004)
If you believe your problem has been resolved, please go to your first post in this topic, click the Edit button and add [Solved] to the beginning of the Subject line.
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

I have used the free version of AVG for 15 years or more. Both it and the virus signatures database are regularly updated.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

https://palant.de/2019/10/28/avast-onli ... ng-on-you/
Firefox blocks add-ons by Avast and AVG because they spy on their users by sending profiles.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

Install Linux.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice