[Solved] Movie OK in media player, Won't go onto slide

Discuss the presentation application
denmans

[Solved] Movie OK in media player, Won't go onto slide

Post by denmans »

Got a .mov video I want to put into a presentation. Clicking 'insert movie & sound' just gives me a big question mark. Same doing it via media player. Strange thing is movie player plays it fine.
Mac OS 10.13
Last edited by denmans on Tue Oct 22, 2019 11:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OpenOffice.org 4.1.7.
Mac OS X 10.13.6
RusselB

Re: Movie OK in media player, Won't go onto slide

Post by RusselB »

Since you say that the movie plays using Movie Player, I found this hint in the help file.
Alternatively, you can choose Tools - Media Player to open the Media Player. Use the Media Player to preview all supported media files. Click the Apply button in the Media Player window to insert the current media file into your document.
Off topic, but to help us in future, please use the User Control Panel and update your forum signature. OpenOffice 3.4.1 is very old, and you state in your post that you are using Mac OS 10.13, yet your forum signature says Mac OS X 10.6.8
Keeping your forum signature up-to-date allows us to (try to) ensure that any suggestions are compatible with the version you are using.
OpenOffice 4.1.7, LibreOffice 7.0.1.2 on Windows 7 Pro, Ultimate & Windows 10 Home (2004)
If you believe your problem has been resolved, please go to your first post in this topic, click the Edit button and add [Solved] to the beginning of the Subject line.
denmans

Post by denmans »

oops sorry. I meant that Media Player plays it fine
OpenOffice.org 4.1.7.
Mac OS X 10.13.6
RusselB

Post by RusselB »

That's what you said and is what I used for searching the help file, which, in turn, gave the hint I quoted.
My understanding is that you can use the Apply button in the Media Player to insert the current movie into your Impress document.
OpenOffice 4.1.7, LibreOffice 7.0.1.2 on Windows 7 Pro, Ultimate & Windows 10 Home (2004)
If you believe your problem has been resolved, please go to your first post in this topic, click the Edit button and add [Solved] to the beginning of the Subject line.
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

Search the forum with video format to find [Tutorial] Which video formats does AOO support?
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
denmans

Post by denmans »

Thanks to the last two responders. I have indeed clicked 'apply' in media player and just got a question mark in the presentation. Also Quick time (.mov) is supported and plays ok in media player.
OpenOffice.org 4.1.7.
Mac OS X 10.13.6
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

A workaround, which might be quickest way for an immediate problem, is to convert a non-playing format to a format that you know will play.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

A quick test shows that in AOO on Windows Insert > Movie and Sound ..., and navigating to a .mov file gets an error message saying .mov files are not supported. The .mov file plays if double clicked on the desktop.
Attachments
Clipboard02.png
Clipboard02.png (9.23 KiB) Viewed 4333 times
Last edited by John_Ha on Tue Oct 22, 2019 4:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

I don't waste time fiddling with insertion of movie clips on Impress slides. That, I understand, will work in LibreOffice "out of the box" for most formats. Using OpenOffice, I place a hyperlink on a slide, pointing to the system media player and the desired film clip, with any command-line parameters needed for (say) full screen. This does require the system media player to be closed or minimised, but for my uses, of film clips of several minutes, this is not a great burden.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
MrProgrammer

Post by MrProgrammer »

denmans wrote:I have indeed clicked 'apply' in media player and just got a question mark in the presentation.
I believe you will see the ? placeholder while editing the presentation. Try showing your presentation:
• Slide Show → Slide Show
John_Ha wrote:A quick test shows that in AOO on Windows Insert > Movie and Sound ..., and navigating to a .mov file gets an error message saying .mov files are not supported.
A quick test shows that in AOO on MacOS 10.11.6, Insert → Movie and Sound and navigating to a .mov file inserts a placeholder and then F5 plays the movie. (I have QuickTime Player.app installed on my Mac and don't know if that, or other software, is needed.)
Movie still
Movie still
The movie which I inserted was Dick Hyman's wonderful computer animation of Joplin's Maple Leaf Rag, 2½ minutes. There is a copy on YouTube.

Fix this.
Bad signature
Bad signature

If this solved your problem please go to your first post use the Edit button and add [Solved] to the start of the title. You can select the green checkmark icon at the same time.
Mr. Programmer
AOO 4.1.7 Build 9800, MacOS 13.6.3, iMac Intel.   The locale for any menus or Calc formulas in my posts is English (USA).
denmans

Post by denmans »

Thanks Mr programmer. that works. That ? is just a little bit unintuitive.
OpenOffice.org 4.1.7.
Mac OS X 10.13.6
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

John_Ha wrote:A quick test shows that in AOO on Windows Insert > Movie and Sound ..., and navigating to a .mov file gets an error message saying .mov files are not supported. The .mov file plays if double clicked on the desktop.
MrProgrammer wrote:A quick test shows that in AOO on MacOS 10.11.6, Insert → Movie and Sound and navigating to a .mov file inserts a placeholder and then F5 plays the movie.
Help does say "The file types that are listed in th[e Movie and Sound] dialogue box are not supported by all operating systems". It looks like .mov is one of those supported on MacOS but not on Windows which may be due in part to its being written by Apple.