How to use control points in Position and Size dialog

Discuss the drawing application
catbill

How to use control points in Position and Size dialog

Post by catbill »

I would appreciate a clear description of how to use the control points on the Slant and Corner Radius page of the Position and Size dialog. I have done some reading about this but still don't understand.
Last edited by catbill on Thu Oct 10, 2019 3:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LibreOffice 6.2.6.2
Zizi64
Volunteer

Re: how to use control points in Position and Size dialog

Post by Zizi64 »

Did you meant the "Base points"?

1.: Position:
The "Base points" can change the reference point of the object during one session only. You can not change it permanently.

For example: when you select the "Middle-point", the X-Y position coordinate values will be recalculated and showed based on the selected Base point. Then you can locate and put the object into the desired position easily: not needed to calculate the shift values in your mind.

2.: Size
I do not know how work this feature for the object Size...
Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO7.5.8 /Win7-10 x64Prof.
PortableApps/winPenPack: LO3.3.0-7.6.2;AOO4.1.14
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
catbill

Post by catbill »

I mean the control points on the Slant and Corner Radius page. I should have specified that in the post and will edit it to make that clearer.
LibreOffice 6.2.6.2
keme
Volunteer

Post by keme »

The "Corner radius" field is only activated for simple rectangle objects, drawn by the rectangle tool.

Objects from other shape tools usually have a yellow handle (when relevant) to adjust the "extras" such as rounded corners, arrow width, callout source direction. No numerical adjustment available.
catbill

Post by catbill »

But how do we use the control points? When are they activated? Perhaps I am incorrect in thinking that they are connected to the Corner radius setting. I just don't understand them.
LibreOffice 6.2.6.2
Zizi64
Volunteer

Post by Zizi64 »

Perhaps I am incorrect in thinking that they are connected to the Corner radius setting. I just don't understand them.
Your supposition is correct in some cases, and incorrect in other cases.
When you draw a rounded Rectangle or a rounded Square, the radius equals to the distance of the control point and the edge of the theoretical rectangle/square.
But when you draw a Frame, the difference is proportional with the thickness of the frame (there is not any rounded corner)

There are functions of one coordinate value only (at some objects: Rectangle, Square, Frame) - or in other words the X/Y values are same; but the Arrow objects use different X/Y values: the first one assigned to the ratio of the arrowhead/arrowline, the another one is assigned to the width of the arrow line.
Last edited by Zizi64 on Sat Oct 12, 2019 11:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
keme
Volunteer

Post by keme »

Made a video to show a few ways to make a rectangle, and how the field behaves. Is this what you mean by "control points"?
Find the video here.
Zizi64
Volunteer

Post by Zizi64 »

Is this what you mean by "control points"?
The handling of the Control Point of the AOO and the newer version of the LO are basicly different.
The small yellow circle is the Control Point. You can adjust it manually only in the AOO, but you can adjust the relative x/y coordinates of the Control Point numerically in the LibreOffice:
The Control Point in the AOO 4.1.5
The Control Point in the AOO 4.1.5
The Control Point in the LO 6.1.6
The Control Point in the LO 6.1.6
catbill

Post by catbill »

keme wrote:Made a video to show a few ways to make a rectangle, and how the field behaves. Is this what you mean by "control points"?
Find the video here.
Keme, thank you for taking the time to make such a helpful video.

When I test with LO, there are some differences. The following information may be helpful for other people with similar questions.

The video shows that Corner Radius is active for a plain rectangle. However, in LO, Corner Radius is not active for that type of rectangle.

I don't see the curve-polygon 45 tool in LO.

For the rounded rectangle, a full hand appears that moves the control point. It is not clear what causes the hand to appear and I can’t get it to appear. In LO, a different looking hand with a pointed finger appears when the cursor is over the control point. The control point can be directly moved with this hand.

Also, as can be seen in Zizi64’s graphic, Control Points 1 and 2 appear in the LO Position and Size dialog but not in the OO version.

Thanks again.
LibreOffice 6.2.6.2
catbill

Post by catbill »

Zizi64, thank you for the illustrated explanations. They are quite helpful.

A few comments:

As mentioned in my previous post, it is possible to move the Control Point manually in LO.

Your arrow graphic for LO is particularly helpful. Now I understand what you were saying. I am still not clear how the second Control Point works, however. Could you please clarify?

One more question. In your previous post, you said:

But when you draw a Frame, the difference is proportional with the thickness of the frame (there is not any rounded corner)

I am not clear what this means. Also, I don’t see how to access the Position and Size dialog for a frame.

Thanks again.
LibreOffice 6.2.6.2
Zizi64
Volunteer

Re: How to use control points in Position and Size dialog

Post by Zizi64 »

Your arrow graphic for LO is particularly helpful. Now I understand what you were saying. I am still not clear how the second Control Point works, however. Could you please clarify?
You can modify the ratio of the elements of an arrow object.
- the size of the arrowhead (by modifying the X value),
- and the thickness of the stem (Y value)
Zizi64
Volunteer

Post by Zizi64 »

I am not clear what this means. Also, I don’t see how to access the Position and Size dialog for a frame.
I meant the "Frame" object of the Draw (a "rectangle donut or ring")
You can modify the thickness of the body of a Frame (right click on the the colorized area). You can not modify the horizontal and the vertical frame elements separatelly, therfore there available one parameter only.
Frame.png
catbill

Post by catbill »

Oh, I wasn't aware of this type of frame. How do we create it?
Thanks again for the help.
LibreOffice 6.2.6.2
Zizi64
Volunteer

Post by Zizi64 »

Oh, I wasn't aware of this type of frame. How do we create it?
Just choose it from the Basic Shapes group.
Basic Shapes.png
Basic Shapes.png (10 KiB) Viewed 4756 times