Active-X Component Causing Writer Docs to Open in Browser

Discuss setup / installation issues - Add a spell checker, Language pack?
eferguson

Active-X Component Causing Writer Docs to Open in Browser

Post by eferguson »

I have an issue with opening documents from links on an internal application (PHP/MySql). The issue is when I click the link to an Open Office Writer (OOW) document (sxw), it opens in the browser (Internet Explorer multiple versions) and appears to use the wrong application to open it in IE as the document is mostly unreadable.

It has been this way for the last 3 or 4 years and hasn't been an issue as I am the only one with the problem. Now my users are having the issue so I now need solve the issue.

As a note, when this first started happening, I found that when I have the Active-X component of OOW turned off (as in not installed) the documents will open correctly in Writer. However, the application requires that the Open Office Active-X component be installed for other functionality so it cannot be removed.

Most installations are Windows 10 and the version of Open Office varies from 4.01 to 4.16.

Any suggestions will be appreciated.
Open Office 3.4.1 - Win7
RoryOF

Re: Active-X Component Causing Writer Docs to Open in Browse

Post by RoryOF »

Why are you working in the obsolete .sxw format? Try .odt format. You may also need to define your File Associations (Google for how) to tell computer which application to use to open certain types of file.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
eferguson

Re: Active-X Component Causing Writer Docs to Open in Browse

Post by eferguson »

That would be because the application we are using requires that we use sxw. It's a long story, I'll make it short. The application allows us to edit documents and save the changes within the application that works somewhat like really basic versioning. The current approved version of Open Office is 4.1 and sxw is the required file format. We don't have a choice on that.

I have checked the file associations and they work correctly outside of the browser. All other formats (pdf, doc, docx, xls, jpg, etc.) will open in the assigned application, just not the sxw.
Open Office 3.4.1 - Win7