Is OpenOffice available for a Chromebook?

Talk about anything at all....
jborchel

Is OpenOffice available for a Chromebook?

Post by jborchel »

Is Open Office available for a Chromebook yet? I could not find one in the support listing.
Last edited by MrProgrammer on Mon Nov 18, 2019 4:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Editted title; was: Chromebook?
John Borchelt/Open Office 3.2 on Vista Home Premium
Zizi64
Volunteer

Re: Chromebook?

Post by Zizi64 »

Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO7.5.8 /Win7-10 x64Prof.
PortableApps/winPenPack: LO3.3.0-7.6.2;AOO4.1.14
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
jborchel

Post by jborchel »

Not many good reviews of this extension. Is my original question accurate? There is no way to run Open Office on a Chromebook? If so, it seems strange that the work hasn't been done to develop compatibility. Last I heard Chromebook was outselling all other techs. Although this may be to large volumes being sold to schools.
John Borchelt/Open Office 3.2 on Vista Home Premium
Zizi64
Volunteer

Post by Zizi64 »

Not many good reviews of this extension. Is my original question accurate? There is no way to run Open Office on a Chromebook?
I do not know it.
I have not Chromebook, and I am using the LibreOffice at my workplace and home. Only portable versions of the Apache OpenOffice are present on my Windows PC-s for testing the attachments on this Forum.

The development of the AOO is very slow today. I suggest you to use the LO.
Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO7.5.8 /Win7-10 x64Prof.
PortableApps/winPenPack: LO3.3.0-7.6.2;AOO4.1.14
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

From what I can tell from search results, Chomebook can install and run native Linux applications. Installing the Debian packages of LibreOffice should be as easy as downloading and extracting the tar.gz, go to the DEBS directory and then issue dpkg -i *deb as admin.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
keme
Volunteer

Post by keme »

If for some reason you must use Apache OpenOffice and not LibreOffice, it looks like it is possible.

A little fiddly but manageable for most users, just like it is for LO by the looks of it (cf. Villeroy's instructions).

See https://www.openoffice.org/download/com ... #linux-deb

These days you should probably take Villeroy's advice and use LibreOffice unless you have a very good reason to go with OpenOffice.
gracehadid

Post by gracehadid »

Using libre office is far better than using any other tool in Chromebook.
OpenOffice 2.4 on Ubuntu 9.04
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

gracehadid wrote:Using libre office is far better than using any other tool in Chromebook.
How do you install LibreOffice on a Chromebook? Is it preinstalled? Is it availlable from some "app store"? Do you install Linux packages from libreoffice.org?
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
kavyathapar

Re: Is OpenOffice available for a Chromebook?

Post by kavyathapar »

jborchel wrote:Is Open Office available for a Chromebook yet? I could not find one in the support listing.

visit the topic viewtopic.php?f=6&t=78706 and you will find answer.
OpenOffice 2.4 on Ubuntu 9.04
RaviKumar3004

Re: Is OpenOffice available for a Chromebook?

Post by RaviKumar3004 »

Yes, you can use OpenOffice on your Chromebook os device. For this you have to enable Linux Beta, and then follow with the commands

1. wget -c [Download source URL]
2. tar -zxvf [package name]
3. sudo dpkg -i en-US/DEBS/*.deb
4. sudo dpkg -i en-US/DEBS/desktop-integration/*.deb

That's all done, go to your drawer menu. There will be a Linux apps section, and OpenOffice is installed there.
Source: https://www.theblogmagic.com/open-office-for-chromebook/
OpenOffice 3.1 on Windows Vista