Cannot recover my coursework file

Issues installing under the Mac OSX - X11 - Aqua
Tanya83

Cannot recover my coursework file

Post by Tanya83 »

Hello I uploaded my coursework to OpenOffice on my Macbook and edited it and saved it. When I re-edited and resaved it, somehow I overwrote the file. Now I can't recover my work. Please can anyone help?
OpenOffice 3.1
jrkrideau
Volunteer

Re: Cannot recover my coursework file

Post by jrkrideau »

Can you give us a more or less blow-by-blow description of what you did? From your description, I cannot see how you would have lost your coursework. It sounds as if you would have definitely overwritten the original file if you resaved it under the same name.

When you say you cannot recover your work are you getting an error message or is a modified file opening or what?
LibreOffice 7.3.7. 2; Ubuntu 22.04
Tanya83

Post by Tanya83 »

a modified file is opening. the original file was questions with txt boxes underneath. 10 of those questions i answered in the text boxes and saved. now when i open the file it shows only questions and no text boxes (with/without my answers in) underneath
OpenOffice 3.1
jrkrideau
Volunteer

Post by jrkrideau »

What was the format of the file that you uploaded to your computer? Was it a docx or odt file? In what format did you save to the MacBook?

It is always best to save in the odt format. Converting from and saving to a foreign format risks introducing errors and this may be what happened here.

Is it possible for us to see a copy of the original coursework file that you uploaded? I mean can you find can you locate a new copy of the file and upload it for us to look at? This may give us some clue as to what is going on.
LibreOffice 7.3.7. 2; Ubuntu 22.04
Tanya83

Post by Tanya83 »

odt i think, saved to openoffice and not backed up unfortuantely
OpenOffice 3.1
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

See the tutorial about un-deleting temporary files to recover the file.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.