[Solved] AOO 4.1.7 opens "Document in Use" "Open Read-Only"?

Discuss the word processor
justdfy

[Solved] AOO 4.1.7 opens "Document in Use" "Open Read-Only"?

Post by justdfy »

Expecting the run around, from peasants, nevertheless!

Thanks, APACHE for the 4.1.7 updated OO app.

But, with the new 4.1.7, Writer documents (haven't checked the DRAW ones yet) are not opening before the
"Document in Use" "Open Read-Only" or"Open Copy" window appears?

How do I check or uncheck to have the OO app open files without that window option appearing, pls?

Running on old Toshiba L300 Windows7 Service Pack 1.
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Wed Sep 25, 2019 8:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: tagged solved
OpenOffice 4.1.6 on (2006 model) Toshiba L300, using a later (2013?) L300's HDD w Windows7
Zizi64
Volunteer

Re: OO 4.1.7 opens "Document in Use" "Open Read-Only"?

Post by Zizi64 »

Where you want to open those documents from?

Do not open documents directly from an E-mail, or from a webpage... Download them first into a directory of your hdd/ssd, then try to open it. Make sure if you have write rights to the destination directory.
Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO7.5.8 /Win7-10 x64Prof.
PortableApps/winPenPack: LO3.3.0-7.6.2;AOO4.1.14
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
robleyd

Post by robleyd »

Does the message say something like 'document in use by [your_user_name]?

If so, close AOO; go to the directory where you keep these files with Windows file manager - Windows Explorer - and enable viewing of hidden files. To do that, in Windows Explorer, click on Organise
lock_files01.png
and go to Folder and Search Options; look under Advanced Settings in View.
lock_files02.png
Now look in your document directories for any files with names like .~lock.[filename].odt# - .ods# for spreadsheets - and delete them.
lock_files03.png
Restart AOO, open files.

If the error message is something different, please tell us exactly what it says.

Brought to you by one of the peasants.
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
LibreOffice 24.2.2.2; SlackBuild for 24.2.2 by Eric Hameleers
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

It may also be that your firewall or antivirus does not recognise that AOO 4.1.7 is a new version of AOO 4.1.6 and needs to be told to allow 4.1.7 to write to the target directories.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
justdfy

Post by justdfy »

"unknown user"?
"unknown user"?
Hi and thanks all for the suggestions etc. (I haven't much knowledge at all on how to upload screenshots here, so see how I go?)

Yes, to whomever, my i'net security "AVG" has warned me about something related to the Apache stuff, and offered to do something to all soffice.bin etc.

I hit OK with trepidation and have yet to explore (usually more hours digging and learning the language etc F it!) how to have AVG be nice to OO files etc. from now on.
See the screenshots of the two windows; (if I can do it?)

But? On downloading the 4.1.7 (it's DRAW is excellent!), I filed it in the (usually hidden) Apps data/local folder. So maybe that's where the problem is?

If so, can I simply move the new AOO 4.1.7 folder to .... "WHERE?" .... the "Program Files" folder? so it's Writer files will open as usual?

Wish me ... a swift death!
Attachments
Suggestions on how to tell AVG to be nice to soffice.bin files from now on will be appreciated!
Suggestions on how to tell AVG to be nice to soffice.bin files from now on will be appreciated!
OpenOffice 4.1.6 on (2006 model) Toshiba L300, using a later (2013?) L300's HDD w Windows7
justdfy

Post by justdfy »

Can't of course, say if the old OO 4.12.6 is related to why my laptop has been running deadly sloooow for a while, but since the 4.1.7 she's like new! (for now................)

Jus' saying'....
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

justdfy wrote:Can't of course, say if the old OO 4.12.6 is related to why my laptop has been running deadly sloooow for a while, but since the 4.1.7 she's like new! (for now................)

Jus' saying'....
One can always run a system monitor in parallel with other processes to establish what on the computer is consuming the resources.

I cannot advise on how to tell AVG to allow OpenOffice access the folders you require, but it should have come with suitable instructions on how to tune it to permit any application access the requisite folders.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
justdfy

Post by justdfy »

Robleyd?
I followed your pointers about "....~lock.[filename].odt# ...."
(You'd all laugh at my "filing system" if that is at all near appropriate a word.)
No. didn't see any of the 'lock,' etc files.
I think I have seen that word before tho. Not knowing what to do, I ignored them and hoped they go away! Sort of like politicians do with crises!
So, if I do see the 'lock' word in the name of a file, is it safe to just delete it?
I'll dig in the AVG stuff to see what it tells me about what it did, and what I can do for the future.

Thanks.

RoryOF; I've tried to open, monitor, read and use the various monitoring windows, but it's mostly all gibberish to me. And if I do see a program or so using lots of whichever (PID? memory, etc), I suspect over time when I've stopped one or another, I've interferred negatively with the overall system workings. So I try not to anymore.

Somehow, recently, the laptop took itself with outside online anonymous help, thru a rebuild, and perhaps over a 100 Windows updates finally came thru. Some were from 2010!

It's all a mystery to me, but someone is watching and helping me along from the shadows.

As with technological "instructions", knowing the meaning of terms and the language generally helps muchly.

Having a lot of neurological damage from all manner of "events", means my reading skills are v low.

Thanks
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

The AVG screen shot says "Detected by Ransomware Detection" and that AVG is blocking AOO. There have been many reports in the past about the "Document in Use by Unknown User" message appearing when a ransomware protection software blocks AOO. If the problem was caused by lock files, the actual user name should appear instead of "Unknown User". You need to change the settings in AVG to allow AOO to access the protected folders. I don't use AVG or Windows, so I can't tell you how to change those settings.
AOO 4.1.14 on Ubuntu MATE 22.04
justdfy

Post by justdfy »

Thanks Bill. Yes I knew AVG had to be adjusted, but forgot. Can't recall now if the 'read-only' prob occurred before or after I allowed AVG to do it's thing.

(I need a second or third brain to cater for all these things..... Oh! That's what mates are for!)

Being the semi-paranoid beast I am, I have come to assume such glitches are implanted just to make life "testing" for me, which they certainly are. Much to the delight of the "peasants".

I'll loose myself ranging thru the AVG stuff to see, and get back on it.

Need it be said, I searched thru the OO help sections just now, for "read only" and "administrator" issues, all of which drew blanks. "administrator" because somewhere it's mentioned that access is restricted.

But in OO and the Windows' control panel 'administration' section, found nought.

But, I know the masons' trolls are laughing... (a "half-brother" is a "leading mason".... and a sadist, of course. Sorry TMI!)
justdfy

Post by justdfy »

Hello Bill? OK! Unchecked the AVG "Ransomware Shield" and all is good again.
Thanks for reminding me.
Of course, now I'm (semi)-Paranoid about whether I should be alert as to WTF ransomware is?
Sorry to bother everyone.
Hagar Delest

Re: [Solved] AOO 4.1.7 opens "Document in Use" "Open Read-On

Post by Hagar Delest »

Basically, a ransomware will encrypt all your documents on your machine and ask for a fee to get the password to decrypt your documents.
But sometimes, even paying won't help...

If you behave safely with the mail you open or links you click, there should be no problem.
Having your documents backuped on a separate drive regularly is also a good practice, just in case.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
justdfy

Re: [Solved] AOO 4.1.7 opens "Document in Use" "Open Read-On

Post by justdfy »

Right. Thanks Hagar for the headsup.

Dealing with the "peasants", since posting those images showing some details of my disk, seems to inspire some, if not many to enter in my online orb (no, I don't wear a tinfoil hat!), and are deploying their immature electronic projections witchcraft my way, to "harass" my energy, glandular, charkral centres.
Which, as they know, is most uncomfortable and elicits a very bad response, from myself.
Not to suicide is my daily battle thanks to such peasants with no ethics, like most geeks today, and all christians, dare I say so here.

Sorry for plying my bee-atch here, guys, but as a lot of the latest occult projections are coming from Ireland and Canada, it has to be aired.

However, having had a long "battle" with the myriad "out-of-the-bottle" geeks of Silicon Valley, not only eastern Canada and Ireland.

As the saying went, "immaturity knows no limits".
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

justdfy wrote:Hello Bill? OK! Unchecked the AVG "Ransomware Shield" and all is good again.
Thanks for reminding me.
Turning off Ransomware Shield was not what I recommended.
AOO 4.1.14 on Ubuntu MATE 22.04