[Solved] Help with saving documents

Issues installing under the Mac OSX - X11 - Aqua
maryscholl

[Solved] Help with saving documents

Post by maryscholl »

I need help on with my Open Office on my IMAC.
When I go to save something on my computer, it used to let me open up the HDD1 or HDD2 and put the document in a particular place,
but it no longer lets me do this.
Do you have any suggestions on how to fix this?
Is there a telephone number I can call to speak with someone at OPEN OFFICE?
Thank you for your help.
Last edited by MrProgrammer on Fri Oct 18, 2019 3:40 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Reason: Removed uppercase title (considered shouting); Moved to from General Discussion forum to Mac OSX; Tagged ✓ [Solved]
Apace OpenOffice TM4
MAC OS High Sierra
RoryOF

Re: HELP WITH SAVING DOCUMENTS

Post by RoryOF »

This Forum is manned by volunteer users and there is no telephone service.

What message do you get when you try to Save?
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
maryscholl

Post by maryscholl »

Rory,
I am trying to copy and paste what I see, but I am having trying pasting the picture here.
Rory, these are the options it gives me when I try to save a document:
Mary's imac
HDD1
HDD2
Backup
Remote Disc

Favorites
Downloads
Music
Pictures
Application
Document
Desktop
Icloud Drive
Creative Cloud Files
Movies

In the past, it would open up the HDD1 or HDD2 and let me put it in the right folder.
Thank you so much for any help you can give me.
Mary Ann
Apace OpenOffice TM4
MAC OS High Sierra
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

I'm not a Mac user, but using the navigation buttons on the /File /Save As window you should be able to move to the appropriate folder or disk drive. Perhaps a Mac user will have other suggestions.
maryscholl

Post by maryscholl »

Hi Rory,
Thanks for the advice, but unfortunately when I try to save it like that, it takes me to the place (HDD1) but will not allow me to open up HDD1 to a particular folder anymore like it used to,
so it can not be saved to the correct spot.
Hopefully, as you said, maybe some Mac person will get on and see my question, and have some additional input.
Thank you though for responding so quickly in trying to help me.
I appreciate it.
Mary Ann
Apace OpenOffice TM4
MAC OS High Sierra
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

If it will not allow saving on HDD1, that suggests the problem is a Mac configuration problem rather than an OO problem. Perhaps some Mac utility, maybe an antivirus or a firewall, needs to be configured to allow OO write to disk. Further than that I cannot suggest.
maryscholl

Post by maryscholl »

Thanks Rory.
Apace OpenOffice TM4
MAC OS High Sierra
MrProgrammer

Re: Help with saving documents

Post by MrProgrammer »

maryscholl wrote:when I try to save it like that, it takes me to the place (HDD1) but will not allow me to open up HDD1 to a particular folder anymore like it used to,
I cannot reproduce this difficulty and have never seen it reported previously. As a test, can you save a document to your Documents directory? If so, this suggests that you have a problem with HDD1, perhaps a file permissions issue, and should ask Apple (or an Apple forum) what might be wrong. Or try to view HDD1 with Finder. Perhaps you should determine if the problem can be reproduced on the Guest User account, discussed in [Tutorial] Mac FAQ Q28/A28. If you can save to HDD1 from the Guest User account, I don't think your difficulty is due to an OpenOffice problem or setting. Also review Q37/A37.
maryscholl wrote:I am having trying pasting the picture here.
We would need more details before any advice can be given. Indicate the exact actions you took, what happened, AND what you expected to happen. Attachments are limited to 128K. If your picture is larger than that, first reduce the size with Preview.
maryscholl wrote:Apace OpenOffice TM4
I will guess that "Apace" is intended to be Apache. I have no idea that TM4 means. Did you download your software from https://www.openoffice.org/download or somewhere else? See Q22/A22.
Mr. Programmer
AOO 4.1.7 Build 9800, MacOS 13.6.3, iMac Intel.   The locale for any menus or Calc formulas in my posts is English (USA).
maryscholl

Re: Help with saving documents

Post by maryscholl »

Good Morning Mr. Programmer,
Yes you are absolutely correct---it is Apache, instead of Apace. That was just an error on my part.
You asked where I downloaded my Open Office from. I don't know that answer because I believe it was on my IMAC when I got it,
but that was many years ago, and I did not set up the computer. A computer guy did that for me. However, it was working for a long time
before I started having this problem. I have saved many, many, many things this way on my computer in this same spot, so I know some change occurred. I just don't know what it is.
Thank you for the suggestions!!! I tried your suggestion, and I can save it to Documents, but can not save it to a particular folder in HDD1.
I will contact Apple and see if they can help me, and I will also check out the Tutorial Mac FAQ.
I will be tied up for a few days, but will try all those suggestions in a few days, and see how it goes.
I will get back if I am still having problems.
Thanks again for you help, and hope you have a wonderful day today!
Mary Ann
Apace OpenOffice TM4
MAC OS High Sierra