[Solved] Problem Opening .xlsx File

Discuss the spreadsheet application
Frankwm123

[Solved] Problem Opening .xlsx File

Post by Frankwm123 »

I don't have MSOffice, but I do have the 'readers'. I have a .xlsx file which I can open with Excel Reader, but when I try to open it with OpenOffice, the application just hangs after a couple of minutes & I have to close it with Task Manager which informs me that the application is not responding. I need to be able to input information into this file, which is why I am trying to open it with OpenOffice.
Any solution/s will be welcome, thanks.

PS: This is a link to the downloadable file I am trying to open "DOWNLOAD (10MB)": https://docs.google.com/leaf?id=0B91OyO ... ist&num=50
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Fri Jul 22, 2011 12:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: tagged [Solved].
OpenOffice 3.3
Windows XP Pro
aqualung
Volunteer

Re: Problem Opening .xlsx File

Post by aqualung »

Hello and welcome to the forum!

An .xlsx file may be viewable in MS Excel Viewer (not "Reader") but fail to open in OpenOffice.org.

This is not uncommon. The file import filters from Office 2007/2010 into OOo are incomplete. A future version of OOo will improve this situation, but by that time Microsoft will have introduced yet another incompatible proprietary file format in Office 2014 :(

You could experiment using a range of options (for example, a free on-line file conversion service such as Zamzar.) Or you could ask the author of the .xslx file to "Save As" .xls (the file format in Excel 97 / XP / 2003) and send it to you again. The .xls import filter in OOo gives much better results.
OOo 3.3.0, Windows 7 64-bit SP1, planning to add LibreOffice after a bug-fix version of 3.4 is released.
Has your question been answered? Please go back to the message at the top of the thread and mark it as [SOLVED].
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

Better avoid the OOXML format anyway, have a look at: MS Office 2007 OOXML file format (docx, xslx, pptx, ppsx). Can you ask for a .xls? Not perfect but should give better results.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
Frankwm123

Post by Frankwm123 »

Yes, you're correct, Excel Viewer (must have been thinking Adobe Reader).

Thanks for explaining that. Fortunately the website has a .xls version of the file which OpenOffice could open.

Again, thanks for the help.
OpenOffice 3.3
Windows XP Pro
ozlady

Re: [Solved] Problem Opening .xlsx File

Post by ozlady »

In future, another option can be to upload to Google Docs (free), then download as an xls or odt file.
Stephanie
OpenOffice 3.3, NeoOffice 3.2 Patch 0, LibreOffice 3.3.2 with MacOS 10.7
cemden

Post by cemden »

Surprisingly, after waiting for longer than a minute watching the import bar freezed at 10%, it opened in calc, without any distortions. My PC has 256GB memory, and taskmanager showed no lack of it. So I presume this was because of a 64b computer running a 32 bit OpenOffice. In fact, it runs inside a windows 32b virtual machine. MS virtualization problem? ...
OpenOffice 4.1.6 on Windows10 64b
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

cemden wrote:Surprisingly, after waiting for longer than a minute watching the import bar freezed at 10%, it opened in calc, without any distortions. My PC has 256GB memory, and taskmanager showed no lack of it. So I presume this was because of a 64b computer running a 32 bit OpenOffice. In fact, it runs inside a windows 32b virtual machine. MS virtualization problem? ...
xlsx is an insanely complex file format. Don't use it.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.