[Solved] Chapter Names

Discuss the word processor
DWDun

[Solved] Chapter Names

Post by DWDun »

Apache Ope Office 4.1.5, Windows 10
What is the significance and meaning of the Box "Level" in the Fields Edit"Document" page?
Last edited by DWDun on Mon Sep 23, 2019 4:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
O0en Office 4.1.6, Windows 10
RoryOF

Re: Chapter Names

Post by RoryOF »

Level n in that dialog tells which heading level (Heading n) you wish to use as a Chapter or subsection divisor. At this stage, stick to Level 1 and Heading 1.

If you must experiment, make a small test file of dummy text. Do not use your major work for experiment.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
DWDun

Post by DWDun »

I see no need to experiment. If the documentation is not to be believed, where does that leave us? So the question comes down to: is the documentation to be accepted at face value or not? If it is NOT, then we must each grope around in the dark hoping to find something that will produce the results we seek. if the documentation is to be assumed accurate why am I having so much trouble achieving the results that should be a simple thing? I am beginning to regret ever attempting Large Document in Ope Office. If there is believable documentation ANYWHERE, would you please point it out.
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

Since you're not yet familiar with the options, select Tools > Options > OpenOffice > General and check "Tips" and " Extended Tips". With those options enabled, you can often hover the mouse pointer over an object and get a tool tip that gives information about the object.
AOO 4.1.14 on Ubuntu MATE 22.04
DWDun

Post by DWDun »

Apache Open Office 4.1.5, Windows 10

Attempting to insert a Chapter Name in the Header;
Place the cursor in the Header
Insert>Fields>Other>Document
Type Box defaults to "Chapter"
Select Box is empty
Format Box defaults to "Chapter Name"
Click on Insert
Click on Close
Result is small white marker in the header
View> Field Names enlarges the White Marker
View>Text Shadings reveals the word "Chapter" in the header

Is it obvious to anyone just exactly where I am going wrong?
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Yes, you need to define the level n of Heading used for Chapter.

/Insert /Fields /Other :Now click on Document tab. Under Type, select Chapter, and in the Format column Select your desired entry; let us say at this time Chapter Name. In the level box at bottom, select (at this time) 1. Press the Insert button, then press Close button.

In your document, use Heading 1 for Chapter names.

In your previous posting, you had not detailed that you had entered 1 in the level box at bottom right of that window nor entered any Heading 1 lines in your text for use as Chapter names.

Have a look at the attached file
Attachments
ChapterNames_PageNumbers.odt
(12.03 KiB) Downloaded 302 times
DWDun

Post by DWDun »

I forgot to mention the Level number but it is, and has always been, number 1, and specified as the number for Chapter Names.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Does my file attached to previous posting work correctly for you?
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

DWDun wrote:Is it obvious to anyone just exactly where I am going wrong?
No, it isn't. We would need to see the actual document page for that.

In your other "Chapter Names" thread you asked the question
DWDun wrote:[Am I correct in assuming that steps 2 through 6 should accomplish step 1?]
where "step 1" was "Apply the paragraph style that you defined for chapter titles to the chapter headings in your document." The answer is that you would not be correct in making that assumption. In Tools > Outline Numbering > Numbering, select Level 1. The Heading 1 paragraph style is the default paragraph style used for chapter titles. Is that the style shown for level 1 on the Outline Numbering dialog box? If so, then you have to apply the Heading 1 paragraph styles to the chapter titles. It isn't done automatically. If there is a different paragraph style shown for level 1, then you should apply that paragraph style to the chapter titles.
DWDun

Post by DWDun »

Does each Paragraph Style applied to Chapter titles have to be unique like in Page Breaks?
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

The paragraph style applied to chapter titles must be unique--that is, it must not be applied to anything but chapter titles. It usually has nothing to do with page breaks, but you can enable an option for the paragraph style to automatically insert a page break when the style is applied to a chapter title.
DWDun

Post by DWDun »

I should have asked; must each paragraph style applied to a Chapter Title be unique among Chapter Titles? Or another way, does each Chapter Title have to be unique from other Chapter Titles besides having a unique Title name?
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

All lines formatted with the paragraph style used to define the chapter level (say:style Heading 1) will be treated as Chapter titles: their content doesn't matter to OpenOffice, so you could, if you wished, simply enter ""Chapter" or "Divider" for each line. But that is counter productive, as it will mean all your chapters are called "Chapter" or "Divider". Better to use a unique identifier for each such Chapter title - be it simply Chapter 1, Chapter 2, ... or something more descriptive.

Ten minutes experimenting with a short sample file will show you what happens, as will my earlier uploaded file, which is designed to have awkwardnesses in the running headers. Once you have noticed these, there is a simple solution. That same file also shows a hyperlinked Table of Contents and differing page number styles and counting sequences.
DWDun

Post by DWDun »

RoryOF;
Your earlier downloadable file will not download.. When I try I get a McAfee message that it is checking the download but nothing happens beyond that. Where should it appear if it DOES download?
Could someone please just give me the necessary steps to be able to insert a Chapter Name in a Header? Thank You!!!
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

To insert a Chapter header in a Page Header, click on the header box (/turn on /View /Text boundaries if you don't see it, provided you have enabled it in the Page Style). Then Insert /Fields /Other : Document tab, select Chapter under the "Type" column and "Chapter name" under the Format column, making sure Level 1 is selected in the bottom right corner box if you have used Heading 1 to define your chapter titles. If not, adjust the level to match the number of the Heading style used..

I just now clicked on the blue underlined filename in my earlier posting, and it immediately downloaded - a small file, so download was instant. It should be in your Browser's download folder. By the way, the earlier file has been downloaded six times to date. Here is the link again to another copy of the file
Attachments
ChapterNames_PageNumbers.odt
(12.03 KiB) Downloaded 292 times
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

@DWDun: You haven't provided any feedback on my suggestion to apply the paragraph style that is shown for Level 1 in Tools > Outline Numbering to the chapter titles. Did you try it? If so, what happened?
DWDun

Post by DWDun »

I have not yet figured out how to apply the Paragraph style to the Chapter Titles, Bill. I go to Tools>Outline Numbering but cannot tell if anything has been accomplished, and see no obvious next step. Over?
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

At this stage, don't worry about trying to apply autonumbering. Place your cursor in a line you require as a Chapter title and select Heading 1 from the style selector on the formatting toolbar (or: shortcut: Press Ctrl 1)

Get the simplest Chapter titling working, then we can go to chapter autonumbering.
DWDun

Post by DWDun »

Why do I want my Chapters numbered? I have no use for Chapter Numbers. But I sure would like the simplest Chapter titling working.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Then why are you fiddling with outline numbering? We need only go to chapter autonumbering if you require your chapters numbered.
DWDun

Post by DWDun »

I do not care if the Chapters are numbered or not. I have no use for Chapter Numbers. All I am trying to get done is the automatic insertion of Chapter Names in the Headers of the odd numbered pages of a large document. So far all I am getting inserted is the word "Chapter" in the Header of the page where I am working, the first page of the Chapter. It is as though OO does not recognize a Chapter Name for what it is.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

You were told earlier that you could switch between the Chapter field name and the actual name by /View /Field Names. If it is showing "Chapter", then that is the field name; use /View /Field names to toggle to the chapter name.
DWDun

Post by DWDun »

Agreed; when I Click Insert and Close the display returns to the Header Box with nothing showing there, Clicking on View>Field Names displays the word "Chapter". Clicking on View>Field Names again hides the word "Chapter". Somehow OO is picking up and using the Field Name instead of the contents of the Field Name "Chapter".
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Have you any line in your file formatted using Heading 1 style?
DWDun

Post by DWDun »

Any line in which file?
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

The file in which you are attempting to create Chapter and chapter headers in the page headers.
DWDun

Post by DWDun »

In going back and looking at the page where it was created in styles and formatting, I see nothing of a nature to be specified as 1 or something else. Am I looking in the wrong place? Where should I expect to find what you are talking about?
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

DWDun: Right-click one of your chapter titles and select Edit Paragraph Style on the context menu. That opens the Paragraph Style dialog box. What is the complete title of the dialog box?
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

DWDun wrote:In going back and looking at the page where it was created in styles and formatting, I see nothing of a nature to be specified as 1 or something else. Am I looking in the wrong place? Where should I expect to find what you are talking about?
Yes, you are looking in the wrong place. The "1" refers to the outline levels that are found on the Outline Numbering dialog. If you don't have a paragraph style assigned to Level 1 on the Outline Numbering dialog or have the wrong paragraph style assigned to Level 1, or have applied the wrong paragraph style to the chapter titles, then no chapter name will be displayed when you insert the Chapter name field. You obviously have the field inserted since you see "Chapter" when you have turned on View > Field names. What you haven't done is apply the correct paragraph style to the chapter titles. If you don't have the correct paragraph style applied to the titles, then Writer won't know that they are titles and the Chapter name field will remain blank.

Numbering of chapters is not the only purpose of the Outline Numbering dialog. Outline Numbering is also used to assign paragraph styles to a particular outline level. If you don't want chapter numbers, then just set "Number" to "None" on the Outline Numbering dialog.
DWDun

Post by DWDun »

I have examined the outline numbering and find the following:
Numbering Tab selected
Level is 1
Paragraphb styles is Heading 1
Number is None
Character style is None
Show sublevels is grayed out
Seperator
Before Chapter
After Chapter
Start at 1
First Line in Header Box is Chapter Chapter Heading
``````````
Is there anything significant in the Position Tab?

WHAT I HAVEN'T DONE, is apply the correct paragraph style to the chapter titles. Please tell me step by step just how to get that done.