Sending emails with OO and Thunderbird

Discuss setup / installation issues - Add a spell checker, Language pack?
boudroux

Sending emails with OO and Thunderbird

Post by boudroux »

I've searched both here and the web generally with no luck.

Hello, I've been a user and supporter of Open Office and Thunderbird for many years. I got a new computer and am unable to send a file from OO using the File-Send- function.
I have a new machine running Win10 Home 64 bit. Open office 4.1.6 (downloaded from the openoffice.org link to source forge) and Thunderbird 68.1.0. My old machine never experienced this issue.

When attempting to send a file directly from both Writer and Calc, as PDF or any of the other few options I get the following pop up error message:

Microsoft Outlook
You need to create a Microsoft Outlook profile. In windows, go to the control panel and open mail. Click Show Profiles and then click add.

The only option on the pop up is to hit "ok" which then produces the following message:
OpenOffice was unable to find a working email configuration. Please save this document locally............

I don't have Outlook, have gone through the Apps list in settings and "terminated" anything NOT Thunderbird, I've un-installed and re-installed both OO and Thunderbird. I've read many a threads on this and am still baffled. Via windows settings under Apps_Default Apps Thunderbird is set as default. I've gone through the different advanced options of setting defaults by app, by file type and by function. Anything that can be set to Thunderbird is.

I'm stumped and wonder if I should install an older version of OO and see if the problem persists.
OpenOffice 4.1.6 on Windows 10
John_Ha
Volunteer

Re: Sending emails with OO and Thunderbird

Post by John_Ha »

It works for me with TB and 4.1.6. I did a vanilla install of both.

I am not sure how it works in AOO. I think AOO asks Windows to start the default e-mail client which, judging by the error message, looks like it is MS Outlook. Be sure TB is set as your default mail client (I have no idea how I did it - Google for it). If you can find a mailto: link somewhere click it - it should open TB.

Try the Writer manual - it should tell you how to set it up. See pp166-169 in Writer Guide.

Do you have Java installed - it could be it needs Java. I do. AOO uses 32-bit Java - it is installed in C:\Program Files (x86)\Java".

Tools > Options > OOWriter > Mail Merge email ..., sets up AOO for mail merge - I think that is different and is not needed for File > Send > Document as email. Mine is filled in - it may be worth while filling in yours.

See p 284 in Getting Started with OpenOffice.org 3.3 which says
Note: Documents can only be sent from the OOo menu if a mail profile has been set up.
I don't know how to do it but it gives you something to look for.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

John_Ha wrote: See p 284 in Getting Started with OpenOffice.org 3.3 which says
Note: Documents can only be sent from the OOo menu if a mail profile has been set up.
I don't know how to do it but it gives you something to look for.

I would guess that this means OO requires the email program to be setup and capable of working on its own, before OO can be hooked into the email application.

More than that I cannot say, as, being old-fashioned, I use email as a stand-alone and manually attach any files to it that I need to transmit.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

In the windows control center, click "Apps" and then default programs. Choose Thunderbird as your mail program.

On our win boxes we had to add another registry entry in order to make our scanner aware of the mail program:

Code: Select all

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Clients\Mail]
@="Mozilla Thunderbird"
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice