[Solved] Difference between background and send to back?

Discuss the spreadsheet application
catbill

[Solved] Difference between background and send to back?

Post by catbill »

I want to be clear about the difference between send to background/send to foreground on the one hand, and send to back/send to front/forward one/back one on the other hand. My sense is that background lies behind everything and all the other options are part of the foreground.

These are fairly elementary concepts but I could not find clear definitions in the documentation. People's thoughts would be appreciated.
Last edited by catbill on Thu Sep 12, 2019 7:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LibreOffice 6.2.6.2
keme
Volunteer

Re: What is difference between background and send to back

Post by keme »

Objects can be either in front of the cell grid (foreground "realm", for want of a better word) or behind it (background "realm"). You control this by send to background/to foreground.
Send to back means that the object goes behind all other objects within the realm where it resides.
Technically, when an object is sent to the back it receives the lowest position in the stacking order (sometimes also called Z-order). As far as I can tell, objects keep their stacking order when they move from foreground to background, but "realm" is a level above stacking so all background objects will be behind all foreground objects.

Objects in the background may be difficult to select because the cell grid gets in the way. Use the select tool (arrow icon) on the drawing toolbar.
catbill

Re: What is difference between background and send to back

Post by catbill »

Thank you. That is what I thought but was not able to articulate as clearly as you can.
LibreOffice 6.2.6.2