General In/Out error - File Corrupt

Issues installing under the Mac OSX - X11 - Aqua
Cass

General In/Out error - File Corrupt

Post by Cass »

Hi there

I'm unable to open an ODS file. When I attempt to open it I get a "Filter Selection" window. The nearest choice in the list is OpenOffice.org.1.0 Spreadsheet. I choose that and then I get the "General Error, General input/output error."
I was editing said spreadsheet this afternoon and working from a Seagate 2TB slim external hard drive. I saved the file and ejected the drive from the system, but clearly I pulled the plug too soon!
I have copied the file to the desktop of my Mac, same filter,error result.
I have removed the user profile folder and reloaded OO to create the new profile folder, no luck.
I am able to open other ODS files from both my Desktop and external hard drive, so I assume it is actually the file that has become corrupt.
I was planning to take the file home to my laptop and see if it might open there, but I assume I will get the same results.
Can anyone recommend a third party software that I can try to see if the file can be recovered/repaired or are there other things I can try?
Thanks in advance for your help!
OpenOffice 3.3 on MacOS 10.6.8
RoryOF

Re: General In/Out error - File Corrupt

Post by RoryOF »

Try PhotoRec; it may recover a deleted temporary or older file.
 Edit: Generally a damaged OO cannot be repaired, no matter what one's perception of its size may lead one to believe. The best option may be an undelete utility such as PhotoRec as I suggested 
 Edit: Edit2: I'm not certain, as it is years since I had to use PhotoRec, but you may need to rename found documents of about the correct date, to type .odt (or as appropriate), to allow them be opened for checking of the content. They may be found with arbitrary filenames and file types. 
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
Cass

Post by Cass »

Thanks Rory, I will give that a try.
Cass

Post by Cass »

I've taken a look at PhotoRecover and I have no doubt it's worth exploring, however I think using that software is beyond my skillset! I can see elsewhere that if I was a windows user I would be able to try OpenOffice Calc Recovery, but alas! Would I be better off taking the file to an expert? Are there any recommendations for those services?
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

The file will be broken beyond repair. You must scan your hard disk for a deleted copy. The sooner this is done the better prospects for a successful recovery.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
MrProgrammer

Post by MrProgrammer »

Cass wrote:… are there other things I can try?
[Tutorial] Mac FAQ Q23/A23 and Q24/A24
Cass wrote:I saved the file and ejected the drive from the system, but clearly I pulled the plug too soon!
We recommend always saving files from OpenOffice to your Desktop of one of your Documents folders. Then use the operating system (MacOS for you) to copy the file to the external drive. People seem to have fewer problems with that method.

If this solved your problem please go to your first post use the Edit button and add [Solved] to the start of the title. You can select the green checkmark icon at the same time.

[Tutorial] Ten concepts that every Calc user should know
Mr. Programmer
AOO 4.1.7 Build 9800, MacOS 13.6.3, iMac Intel.   The locale for any menus or Calc formulas in my posts is English (USA).