Saving to a disc

Talk about anything at all....
boilermaker27

Saving to a disc

Post by boilermaker27 »

I have a document that I just found and was finally able to open it using Open Office. I made the document years ago and thought it was lost. Now that I have it opened I am trying to figure out how to put it on a CD or DVD, but cannot figure out how to do it. Any help would be appreciated.
Apache Open Office 4.1.5 on Windows 7
Hagar Delest

Re: saving to a disc

Post by Hagar Delest »

Hi and welcome to the forum!

First export it to PDF. Then burn it to a CD or DVD, that has nothing to do with OpenOffice. There are certainly already software on your system that can do that. Or free ones available on the web.

Please add [Solved] at the beginning of the title in your first post (top of the topic) with the *EDIT button if your issue has been fixed.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
RoryOF

Re: Saving to a disc

Post by RoryOF »

And to allow future editing, also make a copy on the DVD of the .odt (or whatever) file, using the same DVD burning utility.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
RusselB

Post by RusselB »

If you use a CD or DVD-RW disc, then you can save the file to the disc and, if wanted or needed, be able to edit the document and re-save it to the same disc.
Windows 7 comes with the ability to burn to disc.
What kind of disc is dependent on the drive hardware. These days most systems come with DVD burners, but if your system is old, then it might be a CD burner, in which case a DVD won't work.
In Windows 7, click the Start button, then highlight -> but DON'T click -> My Computer (or whatever you've renamed it to, if anything).
Look at the list of drives that will show when My Computer is highlighted. One of them, usually the D drive, will be your CD/DVD drive. Look at the name of the drive. It should be something like CD, CD RW, DVD, DVD RW, BR, BR RW.
If it has the RW, then you have a burner. If it doesn't, then you don't.
CD is limited to CDs. DVD can do DVDs and CDs, BR can do Blu-Ray, DVD and CD.
OpenOffice 4.1.7, LibreOffice 7.0.1.2 on Windows 7 Pro, Ultimate & Windows 10 Home (2004)
If you believe your problem has been resolved, please go to your first post in this topic, click the Edit button and add [Solved] to the beginning of the Subject line.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

It may be better practice to edit the files on the local hard disk, then with a DVD utility (or File Manager) copy these files to the DVD, rather than to Save them directly to the DVD from OpenOffice.

If anything goes wrong with the direct Save, you may lose your files. I instance the many reports of problems writing direct to USB sticks; it may be that such similar problems will apply to writing direct to DVD. Better to be safe than sorry.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
RusselB

Post by RusselB »

I have to agree with RoryOF regarding the storage for the editable file.
While the RW discs will allow you to write and re-write to them, you'll get a better and faster saving using your internal hard drive.
OpenOffice 4.1.7, LibreOffice 7.0.1.2 on Windows 7 Pro, Ultimate & Windows 10 Home (2004)
If you believe your problem has been resolved, please go to your first post in this topic, click the Edit button and add [Solved] to the beginning of the Subject line.