[Solved] Sorting column cells with mixed data

Discuss the spreadsheet application
D_Shane

[Solved] Sorting column cells with mixed data

Post by D_Shane »

I have data exported into xls with "time time cancelled prior to" and the data is in " 01 days 13 hours 10 min "

I need to sort longest to shortest but the data sorts 0, 1, 10, 100, then to 11,... 2, 20, etc.

I have replaced the words days, hours with colons decimals, and formatted the cells every possible way without changing the results.

Anyone have a way around this?
Attachments
cells.PNG
Last edited by robleyd on Mon Sep 02, 2019 1:26 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Add green tick
OpenOffice 4.1.3 Windows 7
Villeroy
Volunteer

Re: Sorting column cells with mixed data

Post by Villeroy »

The whole column is text. Text sorts alphabetically.
In this case, alphabetical sorting would be OK if the contained numbers included leading zeroes as in "03 days 07 hours 08 min"
If you would install LibreOffice instead of OpenOffice (which is walking dead), you could switch on "natural sorting" which might do what you expect in this case.
https://libreoffice.org
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
RusselB

Post by RusselB »

To do this properly in OpenOffice Calc, I'd use helper columns to make the "time" into a proper hours:minutes, then sort using the helper column as the sort key.
An alternative would be to use Text to Columns, then sort using three sort keys.
If your current was in column A, then B would be the number of days, C -> the word "days", D -> number of hours, E -> the word "hours", F -> number of minutes, G -> the word "minutes"
Then sort everything using column B as your first sort key, D as your second, and F as your third.
OpenOffice 4.1.7, LibreOffice 7.0.1.2 on Windows 7 Pro, Ultimate & Windows 10 Home (2004)
If you believe your problem has been resolved, please go to your first post in this topic, click the Edit button and add [Solved] to the beginning of the Subject line.
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

I just tried with LibreOffice Calc and "natural sorting". The result is:
1 days 7 hours 33 minutes
2 days 5 hours 11 minutes
3 days 1 hours 2 minutes
3 days 13 hours 33 minutes
19 days 11 hours 3 minutes
29 days 3 hours 1 minutes
30 days 12 hours 22 minutes
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
D_Shane

Re: Sorting column cells with mixed data (Solved)

Post by D_Shane »

Perfect. Thanks
OpenOffice 4.1.3 Windows 7