[Solved] OpenOffice Impress & Blackout Screen with Clicker

Discuss the presentation application
Hatcher

[Solved] OpenOffice Impress & Blackout Screen with Clicker

Post by Hatcher »

In the past, I was able to click a button on my Kensington Clicker (K33373USA) and my OpenOffice Impress Presentation would turn black, leading my students to focus on me and not the slide full of information. I had to get my computer reimaged today, and I lost the ability to do this. If I remember correctly, there was a setting that I had to activate in order to "blackout" the screen, but after looking for nearly an hour, I cannot find it.

Does anyone know how to activate this feature, allowing someone to turn the screen black by simply clicking a button on my clicker? I opened a Keynote Presentation and this feature worked automatically, but I much prefer OpenOffice Impress.

Thanks for any help you can provide.
Last edited by MrProgrammer on Fri Aug 30, 2019 9:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Tagged ✓ [Solved]
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.6 / OS Mojave
Zizi64
Volunteer

Re: OpenOffice Impress & Blackout Screen with Clicker

Post by Zizi64 »

In the past, I was able to click a button on my Kensington Clicker (K33373USA) and my OpenOffice Impress Presentation would turn black, leading my students to focus on me and not the slide full of information. I had to get my computer reimaged today, and I lost the ability to do this. If I remember correctly, there was a setting that I had to activate in order to "blackout" the screen, but after looking for nearly an hour, I cannot find it.
I suppose, that function is related to the video output of the computer, but not to the AOO Impress...
Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO7.5.8 /Win7-10 x64Prof.
PortableApps/winPenPack: LO3.3.0-7.6.2;AOO4.1.14
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
Hatcher

Post by Hatcher »

The video output of the computer has been a constant, so I don't think that's the cause. I was able to use the blackout feature two days ago.
RPG
Volunteer

Post by RPG »

When you are in presentation mode then right click with the mouse. Then you have the choice in the popup for screen and then for Black or white. I do not know how to bind this to some button on this moment.
LibreOffice 7.1.4.2 on openSUSE Leap 15.2
Hatcher

Post by Hatcher »

Thank you for the assistance, but my mouse is located on the other side of the room. I just wish I remembered how I bound my clicker button to that "blackout" screen. It seems that this feature is native to PPT and Keynote...hmmm...
keme
Volunteer

Post by keme »

Did you get a new clicker? I believe there is a 3-way switch (possibly inside the battery compartment) to select between PPT-PC, PPT-Mac and Keynote. Make sure it is in the PC setting.

Not sure that it will always work in Impress. It does for me, but that may be due to "hidden stuff", perhaps some extra driver inserts or something that has come with Powerpoint. (I have OpenOffice, LibreOffice and MS Office all installed on this computer.)
Hatcher

Post by Hatcher »

It's the same clicker and unfortunately, there isn't a three-way switch. Also, I went ahead and downloaded LibreOffice and Microsoft Office, hoping that, like you said, there might be "hidden stuff" in those applications that may enable the "blackout" feature in Apache OpenOffice. But alas, it still doesn't work.

Thanks again everyone for your suggestions. There is a great community of helpful people here.
Hatcher

Post by Hatcher »

Hatcher wrote:In the past, I was able to click a button on my Kensington Clicker (K33373USA) and my OpenOffice Impress Presentation would turn black, leading my students to focus on me and not the slide full of information. I had to get my computer reimaged today, and I lost the ability to do this. If I remember correctly, there was a setting that I had to activate in order to "blackout" the screen, but after looking for nearly an hour, I cannot find it.

Does anyone know how to activate this feature, allowing someone to turn the screen black by simply clicking a button on my clicker? I opened a Keynote Presentation and this feature worked automatically, but I much prefer OpenOffice Impress.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

If anyone stumbles upon this thread with the same problem, I found the solution. If you go to "OpenOffice," "Preferences," then under "OpenOffice Impress" select "View," then make sure "Always with current page" is checked and UNCHECK "With Presenter Screen." Voila.

Solved, you can close the thread.
keme
Volunteer

Post by keme »

Thanks for coming back with the solution.
Threads are rarely closed here, beyond the [solved] tag in the thread topic. You can do that yourself by editing your first post and insert that tag in the subject field.