[Issue] Figure listed out of order in cross-reference dialog

Discuss the word processor
catbill

[Issue] Figure listed out of order in cross-reference dialog

Post by catbill »

The captioned figures I created from screenshots appear in order in the cross-reference dialog. However, other figures I have created do not appear in the same order in the dialog. The issue is the order in which they appear in the dialog list, not the sequential numbering of the captions.

For example, I created a frame that contains a table and an image. In creating the caption, I believe the default was to save the frame as a drawing. I manually changed it to save it as a figure. It is now Figure 34.

In the cross-reference dialog, Figure 1 through Figure 47 appear in order with the exception of Figure 34, which appears at the end of the list.

Clearly there is something about the type of figure that causes it to be saved at the end of the list. What is it? And what can I do to make Figure 34 appear in the correct order in the list? How can I prevent this from happening again?

This is cross-listed from Ask.LibreOffice.org https://ask.libreoffice.org/en/question ... ce-dialog/

I will post any answers here.
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Tue Sep 03, 2019 10:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: tagged issue
LibreOffice 6.2.6.2
Zizi64
Volunteer

Re: why figures listed out of order in cross-reference dialo

Post by Zizi64 »

This is cross-listed from Ask.LibreOffice.org
PortableApps/winPenPack: LO3.3.0-7.6.2;AOO4.1.14
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

catbill wrote:For example, I created a frame that contains a table and an image. In creating the caption, I believe the default was to save the frame as a drawing. I manually changed it to save it as a figure. It is now Figure 34.
The default caption for frames is "Text...". The default caption for drawings is "Illustration...". There is no default caption "Figure...". Did you change the default captions to "Figure..." or did you change all of the captions manually? Are the other "Figures" also frames or are they some other type of object?
AOO 4.1.14 on Ubuntu MATE 22.04
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

This may be a bug in LO. On the cross-reference dialog, a space is being added in front of the captions for images, but not in front of the captions for frames. As a result, the captions for images are sorted before the captions for frames.

AOO 4.1.6 does not add the space.
catbill

Post by catbill »

Thank you for the reminder. I have changed it.
LibreOffice 6.2.6.2
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

It's a bug:

Bug 97397 - When adding a caption to an image, an extra space is added

A comment in the bug says to place the insertion point at the start of the caption and press Delete to remove the space. That didn't work for me. I had to press Backspace.