Vertical alignment in labels

Discuss the word processor
hkbs

Vertical alignment in labels

Post by hkbs »

In Microsoft Word, I have a template for Avery J8165 and I am trying to use the same label in OpenOffice.
It gives me the option of this label but the margins, paragraph settings are completely different. I did a search but this showed a text flow box which I cannot get to. There does not seem to be an option to make the Centre align vertically.
I would also like to change the TNR font to Calibri as the default font.
Windows 10
OpenOffice 4.1.6
Villeroy
Volunteer

Re: Vertical alignment in labels

Post by Villeroy »

Avery J8165 consists of 4 big labels on A4, right?
menu:File>New>Labels...
Brand: Avery A4
Type: J8165 Parcel
If on the options tab the sync option is set, you get one editable frame and 3 frames linked to the first one. Otherwise you get 4 independent frames.
[New Document]
Change paragraph style "Default" to whatever set of attributes and then
menu:File>Templates>Save...
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
hkbs

Post by hkbs »

No. J8165 has 8 labels - 2 wide and 4 long. When I open the sheet, the bottom label is right at the bottom of the page so would not print.
Windows 10
OpenOffice 4.1.6
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Zizi64
Volunteer

Post by Zizi64 »

No. J8165 has 8 labels - 2 wide and 4 long.
2 + 4 <> 8

I never used those templates, and do not know them.
Please upload your sample file here.
Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO7.5.8 /Win7-10 x64Prof.
PortableApps/winPenPack: LO3.3.0-7.6.2;AOO4.1.14
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
floris v
Volunteer

Post by floris v »

He means 2 columns and 4 rows.
I'll have to fire up my pc to check out the vertical alignment, but IIRC you can only do that in tables and frames.
OpenOffice 4.1.11 on Ubuntu; LibreOffice 6.4 on Linux Mint, LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Ubuntu
If your problem has been solved or your question has been answered, please edit the first post in this thread and add [Solved] to the title bar.
Nederlandstalig forum
floris v
Volunteer

Post by floris v »

Oh my, this is hopefully not the best method there is, but right now I can't see anything else. Click on the border of one of the frames, to select it (green markers should appear). Right click, select Frame, select Borders tab. Turn on some borders to enable setting the margins on the right hand side of the options window, un-tick Synchronise, set equal values for top and bottom to mimic vertical centering, and values for right and left as well, then turn off borders again, the values will remain. This will work if your text is always the same number of lines.
OpenOffice 4.1.11 on Ubuntu; LibreOffice 6.4 on Linux Mint, LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Ubuntu
If your problem has been solved or your question has been answered, please edit the first post in this thread and add [Solved] to the title bar.
Nederlandstalig forum
MrProgrammer

Post by MrProgrammer »

hkbs wrote:In Microsoft Word, I have a template for Avery J8165 …
Microsnot templates are designed for Microsnot Office. Open Office is not a clone of Microsnot Office and templates may open with differences. For labels, where alignment is critical, even slight differences may be important. It's better to start afresh with File → New → Labels → Brand → Avery A4 → Type → J8165 Parcel. You'll need to set your database fields. Then you want Options → Synchronize Contents → New document.
hkbs wrote:I would also like to change the TNR font to Calibri as the default font.
Format → Styles and Formatting → Paragraph Styles → Default → Right-click → Modify → Font → {select desired font} → OK.
hkbs wrote:I did a search but this showed a text flow box which I cannot get to.
Only the upper left label's formatting is editable. Make changes to that one and use the Synchronize button.
hkbs wrote:There does not seem to be an option to make the Centre align vertically.
I like floris v's idea. If you select the upper left frame, in the Styles and Formatting list you can select Frame style → Labels → Right-click → Modify → Borders → Line arrangement → Top and bottom → Color → White → Spacing to contents → Top/Bottom → {your choice} → OK.
hkbs wrote:I open the sheet, the bottom label is right at the bottom of the page so would not print.
Some printers are physically unable to print close to the edge of the page. You will need to determine the spacing for your labels and your hardware. Once you've determined the proper alignment you can save the Writer document as a template for future use.

Read about labels and/or templates in Help → Index or in User Guides (PDF) or searching for topics about them (there are many) in the Writer Forum.

If this solved your problem please go to your first post use the Edit button and add [Solved] to the start of the title. You can select the green checkmark icon at the same time.
Mr. Programmer
AOO 4.1.7 Build 9800, MacOS 13.6.3, iMac Intel.   The locale for any menus or Calc formulas in my posts is English (USA).
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

As an aside, I mention that it is always useful that an exact URL be provided for any such template under discussion. It may happen, for example, that US templates for a similarly numbered sheet of labels are set to use US Letter pages, whereas European templates will most probably use A4 page sizes.

While both these pages are roughly equivalent for normal printing, there are significant dimensional differences which can affect exact placement of labels.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
Zizi64
Volunteer

Post by Zizi64 »

There does not seem to be an option to make the Centre align vertically.
Just a workaround idea:

If it is enough one paragraph style inside the labels (and the structure of the text is simple in the labels) then you can try to use the Calc application.
The cells of the Calc looks like as small labels.
Try to create huge cells - adjusted the size of the cells to the size of the labels. The gaps between the labels could be narrow empty rows and columns. Then you will able align the text vertically too in the spreadsheet cells (= in the labels). And the Calc has more useful features: you can adjust the cellrange to print, and you can align the content of a page to the center horizontally and vertically, and you can adjust the scaling factor of the sheet.
And you can reference the cell content (= label content) in an another cell. You must create/edit the text in one cell only.

Use the Styles for formatting the labels: for the character type and size, for the alignment, text wrapping, and for the text oriantation... etc...
Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO7.5.8 /Win7-10 x64Prof.
PortableApps/winPenPack: LO3.3.0-7.6.2;AOO4.1.14
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

RoryOF wrote:As an aside, I mention that it is always useful that an exact URL be provided for any such template under discussion. It may happen, for example, that US templates for a similarly numbered sheet of labels are set to use US Letter pages, whereas European templates will most probably use A4 page sizes.

While both these pages are roughly equivalent for normal printing, there are significant dimensional differences which can affect exact placement of labels.
The attachment Avery-Zweckform_J8165.ott had been downloaded from the German web site as https://www.avery-zweckform.com/sites/d ... _J8165.doc and then saved as ott template. Are we talking about this?
Page size: A4
8 frames (2 columns by 4 rows)
The name of the paragraph style in use is "Avery Style 1"

The second one Avery-Zweckform_J8165_LO6.ott has been created with LibreOffice 6.1. It is almost identical.
Attachments
Avery-Zweckform_J8165_LO6.ott
(11.22 KiB) Downloaded 123 times
Avery-Zweckform_J8165.ott
(14.41 KiB) Downloaded 121 times
hkbs

Post by hkbs »

Yes, the attachments on Villeroy's post are what I am trying to use. I do thank you all for your help but I am at a total loss how to proceed.
I have no idea where to find Calc.
Maybe I need a complete tutorial. It all seems like a foreign language to me.
Windows 10
OpenOffice 4.1.6
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Calc is OpenOffice's Spreadsheet application. It should have been installed on your computer as well as Writer. Look for scalc.exe.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

Now we know 2 variants of templates, you could show us what is wrong with them. Open template, fill in some content, save a document, upload the document and tell us what is wrong with it.
robleyd

Post by robleyd »

[Forum] How to attach a document here Note maximum file size is 128K. If your file is larger, use a file sharing site such as Mediafire and post the link here. The link also contains information on how to anonymise your document if it contains confidential information.

f you are new to spreadsheets, you may find the following to be useful resources.

[Tutorial] Ten concepts that every Calc user should know
OpenOffice Spreadsheet Tutorial for Beginners with Examples
[Tutorial] Absolute, relative and mixed references
[Tutorial] VLOOKUP questions & answers
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
LibreOffice 24.2.1.2; SlackBuild for 24.2.1 by Eric Hameleers