Extracting a small list from a larger one (EXIF info)

Talk about anything at all....
chazebs

Extracting a small list from a larger one (EXIF info)

Post by chazebs »

Whenever I upload images off of my Canon 50D camera onto my computer, data is attached to those images. I use Irfanview(64) to view the images. When an image is opened, there is a dataset of about 95 items associated with that image.
I really only need to know the information concerning 10 of the items on that long list, such as; date, time, f stop, aperture, ISO, focal length (ex. 200mm), etc.
The information of the 95 items can be placed into the clipboard, where it can then be pasted into a word document or spreadsheet.
What I am trying to do is extract the 10 items from that long list so I don't have to search the long list every time for just the 10 items.

Is this enough info to get help on this issue?

Thanks!
Chaz
OpenOffice 4.1.2 on Window 7
robleyd

Re: extracting a small list from a larger one

Post by robleyd »

What you are referring to is Exif (Exchangeable image file format) data that is embedded in the image file. There is software around that allows you to extract this data; there was a discussion about a year ago that you might find helpful.

The application referred to in one of my posts there is capable of extracting a subset of the Exif data.
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
LibreOffice 24.2.1.2; SlackBuild for 24.2.1 by Eric Hameleers
chazebs

Post by chazebs »

Thanks, David.
I downloaded and installed EXIFextractor. It did a great job of getting the info from JPEG's, but will not work with CR2's (Canon's raw format). I only shoot raw and will have to convert everything to JPEG to get what I need. It is still helpful in that regard.
Thanks again.
Chaz
OpenOffice 4.1.2 on Window 7
robleyd

Post by robleyd »

If you are prepared to do a bit of Python, you might find this StackOverflow topic helpful.
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
LibreOffice 24.2.1.2; SlackBuild for 24.2.1 by Eric Hameleers
MrProgrammer

Re: Extracting a small list from a larger one (EXIF info)

Post by MrProgrammer »

chazebs wrote:The information of the 95 items can be placed into the clipboard, where it can then be pasted into a word document or spreadsheet. Is this enough info to get help on this issue?
No. Attach a document demonstrating the situation (remove confidential information then use Post Reply, not Quick Reply, and don't attach a picture instead of the document itself). For example, paste into a spreadsheet, save it, and attach that. And attach a Writer document too in case that will be better for this task.
Mr. Programmer
AOO 4.1.7 Build 9800, MacOS 13.6.3, iMac Intel.   The locale for any menus or Calc formulas in my posts is English (USA).
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

The command line tool "Exiftool" is supposed to be compatible with cr2 files. I don't know if it can send data directly to the clipboard, but it can extract tags from an image file and redirect the extracted data to a text file.

ExifTool by Phil Harvey

The command

Code: Select all

exiftool -tag1 -tag2 filename.cr2 > textout.txt
should extract the data from the tags "tag1" and "tag2" in "filename.cr2" and redirect the data to the file "textout.txt.
AOO 4.1.14 on Ubuntu MATE 22.04
LanceBil

Post by LanceBil »

Hi Bill, can this line of code mess anything up in the process?
OpenOffice 3.1 on Windows 7
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

The command does not write to filename.cr2. It only reads the values of tag1 and tag2 in filename.cr2 then puts those values in a file named textout.txt. If you already have a file named "textout.txt", then I suppose it could be overwritten.
AOO 4.1.14 on Ubuntu MATE 22.04
RusselB

Post by RusselB »

Bill wrote:The command does not write to filename.cr2. It only reads the values of tag1 and tag2 in filename.cr2 then puts those values in a file named textout.txt. If you already have a file named "textout.txt", then I suppose it could be overwritten.
If you already have a file with the same name as that specified for the output, it will be overwritten using the > character. If you want to append new information to the same file, use >> rather than > in the command line.
OpenOffice 4.1.7, LibreOffice 7.0.1.2 on Windows 7 Pro, Ultimate & Windows 10 Home (2004)
If you believe your problem has been resolved, please go to your first post in this topic, click the Edit button and add [Solved] to the beginning of the Subject line.