Unstable LibreOffice under Ubuntu and Windows 7 Pro

Help with installation and general system troubleshooting questions concerning the office suite LibreOffice.
dreamquartz

Unstable LibreOffice under Ubuntu and Windows 7 Pro

Post by dreamquartz »

Hello All,

I am experiencing problems with HSQLDB, being unstable.
Working with a DataBase, LO suddenly and with no reason, freezes, and I can only kill the process.
This happens while doing anything with the DataBase, either running/writing a Query, entering data, or even opening/viewing a table.

This happens way more with Windows 7 Pro than with Ubuntu 16.04.

Does anyone know more about this?

Thanks in advance,

Dream
LO 7.x, HSQLDB 2.7.x & Ubuntu 22.04 LTS.
Zizi64
Volunteer

Re: Unstable LibreOffice under Ubuntu and Windows 7 Pro

Post by Zizi64 »

And what about the other applications. Can they run stable on your PC?

We (at my workplace) are using the Calc, Writer, Draw and sometimes the Impress of the LO 4.4.7 x86 and LO 6.1.6 x64, but we never use the Base.
All of the installed and used LibreOffice applications are very stable on our Win7 Pro x64 and Win 10 Pro x64. We have not any Linux PC.
Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO7.5.8 /Win7-10 x64Prof.
PortableApps/winPenPack: LO3.3.0-7.6.2;AOO4.1.14
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

OO 4 is stable on my computers running 64 bit Xubuntu 18.04.2 (and earlier versions of Xubuntu); I do not run Base or an OO related database.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
UnklDonald418
Volunteer

Post by UnklDonald418 »

In my experience on computers running both Windows 10 Pro and Home versions, the Base and Impress modules experience far fewer "unexplained" crashes when using OO 4 than using LO.
I suppose it is up to us to identify what conditions lead up to those "unexplained" crashes before we can expect the developers to look for a solution.
If your problem has been solved, please edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the beginning of the subject line
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.14 & LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 (x86_64) - Windows 10 Professional- Windows 11
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

AOO crashes and freezes every time I focus a form's grid control until I switch from X11 display server to the new (and still experimental) Wayland display server. But then AOO crashes because of issues with floating toolbars. I stopped using AOO on LInux because its Base component is not usable.
https://bz.apache.org/ooo/show_bug.cgi?id=127710

I have no issues with LO 6.x on Ubuntu 16.4 nor 18.4.
16.4. came with LiberOffice 5.x which should be the one to use by default. Nothing wrong with that version.

The main problem with Base and HSQL is that HSQL is embedded. Same problem with embedded Firebird or embedded anything. If you want a stable database setup, you should use the distributors office suite and convert your embedded database to external HSQL2 when the tables, relations and indices are production ready.
[Python] Macro to extract and reconnect embedded HSQLDB
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
dreamquartz

Post by dreamquartz »

Zizi64 wrote:And what about the other applications. Can they run stable on your PC?

We (at my workplace) are using the Calc, Writer, Draw and sometimes the Impress of the LO 4.4.7 x86 and LO 6.1.6 x64, but we never use the Base.
All of the installed and used LibreOffice applications are very stable on our Win7 Pro x64 and Win 10 Pro x64. We have not any Linux PC.
Yes I can.
All of the LO programs will freeze. That means the suite is frozen when it happens.

Kill the suite is the only remedy for me.

Dream
dreamquartz

Post by dreamquartz »

Villeroy wrote:AOO crashes and freezes every time I focus a form's grid control until I switch from X11 display server to the new (and still experimental) Wayland display server. But then AOO crashes because of issues with floating toolbars. I stopped using AOO on LInux because its Base component is not usable.
https://bz.apache.org/ooo/show_bug.cgi?id=127710

I have no issues with LO 6.x on Ubuntu 16.4 nor 18.4.
16.4. came with LiberOffice 5.x which should be the one to use by default. Nothing wrong with that version.

The main problem with Base and HSQL is that HSQL is embedded. Same problem with embedded Firebird or embedded anything. If you want a stable database setup, you should use the distributors office suite and convert your embedded database to external HSQL2 when the tables, relations and indices are production ready.
[Python] Macro to extract and reconnect embedded HSQLDB
I changed to split a long time ago thanks to your Python.

I use it all the time.

I am using the LO versions directly from LO.

The issues are there.

I can live with it.
Have build in security guards in the user policies.
A little cumbersome, but manageable.
There are less issues with Ubuntu 18.04 though.
Did have to move forward to Windows 10 Pro as well. Do not know what problems will arise, if any.

Dream
ocin

Post by ocin »

I have windows 7 Pro, and openoffice is unstable here too. (Crashes 5 times a day, every second time i use it)
I think it is just amateur software, as the length of the document goes bigger it crashes more often.
Openoffice 4.1.7 on windows 7 Pro
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

ocin wrote:...openoffice is unstable here too.
This topic is about LibreOffice, not OpenOffice.
AOO 4.1.14 on Ubuntu MATE 22.04
Zizi64
Volunteer

Post by Zizi64 »

I have windows 7 Pro, and openoffice is unstable here too. (Crashes 5 times a day, every second time i use it)
I think it is just amateur software, as the length of the document goes bigger it crashes more often.
Try to open one (or more) of Andrew Pitonyak's ODF type Bacro Book documents. They have hundreds of pages, pictures, Styles, and they works fine on our PC-s even was installed Win7 x64 Pro, or Win10 x64 Pro on it. (Because they are large, but WELL STRUCTURED documents)

https://www.pitonyak.org/oo.php/

How large your documents are? What a file type are you using?

If the Macro Book crashes too, then check your hardware. Maybe something is wrong in it.

If the Macro Book not crache, then check the structure of your document: the file type, the styles and the manual formatting properties, the installed and the used Fonts... etc... Maybe something is wrong in it.

Never use foreign, never standardized file formats, like the old, obsolete, binary MS-Office file formats (.doc, .xls).
Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO7.5.8 /Win7-10 x64Prof.
PortableApps/winPenPack: LO3.3.0-7.6.2;AOO4.1.14
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

ocin wrote:I have windows 7 Pro, and openoffice is unstable here too. (Crashes 5 times a day, every second time i use it)
Try to reset your OpenOffice user profile.
Works fine for millions of users, certainly something on your machine. Security application perhaps?
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

If OpenOffice is unstable on a Windows installation, the first step is to start Windows in Safe Mode and run OO while Windows is in that mode. If OO runs stable than, the problem is a program or driver that runs in Windows normal mode.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
dreamquartz

Post by dreamquartz »

I have added button for 'Checkpoint Defrag' on several User forms, for the User to use, the moment they have entered data. They can do this at any time. This does improve the stability of the HSQL 2.5.0 in the split database environemt. At the last data entry form, the User even has a button that combines 'Checkpoint Defrag' with the 'Backup' database function.. The User has moved to Ubuntu as their main OS for database use. Windows 7 PRO is a very unstable environment for LO Base, using HSQLDB 2.5.0 in general, according to the User, when entering Data.

At this point it has been decided to keep the status quo.

Dream