[Solved] Email address background

Discuss the spreadsheet application
Bob Coleman

[Solved] Email address background

Post by Bob Coleman »

If I enter an email address in a cell that otherwise has a default/white background, the background of the email address becomes gray. Is there any way to avoid this?
Last edited by Bob Coleman on Sun Jul 21, 2019 5:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OOo 3.0.X on Ms Windows XP
floris v
Volunteer

Re: email address background

Post by floris v »

That's field shading - a visual aid that reminds you that the plain text has been converted to a link. You can set the color to something else, or white (Tools, Options, Appearance, Text document, Field shadings), but remember that it's an aid for you.
OpenOffice 4.1.11 on Ubuntu; LibreOffice 6.4 on Linux Mint, LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Ubuntu
If your problem has been solved or your question has been answered, please edit the first post in this thread and add [Solved] to the title bar.
Nederlandstalig forum
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

The grey shading indicates a text field which is an important hint to the editor of a text. The text in a text field is one character. When you put the cursor before or behind the field and then hit the Del key or Backspace key respectively you delete the entire field with all the text in it. The shading is gone when you watch the document in print preview, export the document to PDF or when you print it to paper (PDF is a paperless print-out to a file).
Text fields show all kinds of hyperlinks in Calc, and in Writer they show page numbers, the current date, external data, repeating text snippets and a lot more.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
Bob Coleman

Post by Bob Coleman »

floris v wrote:That's field shading - a visual aid that reminds you that the plain text has been converted to a link. You can set the color to something else, or white (Tools, Options, Appearance, Text document, Field shadings), but remember that it's an aid for you.
I suppose that would work, but my current interest is in a spread sheet, not a text document.
Zizi64
Volunteer

Post by Zizi64 »

Please update your signature in this forum.
Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO7.5.8 /Win7-10 x64Prof.
PortableApps/winPenPack: LO3.3.0-7.6.2;AOO4.1.14
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
floris v
Volunteer

Post by floris v »

Bob Coleman wrote:
floris v wrote:That's field shading - a visual aid that reminds you that the plain text has been converted to a link. You can set the color to something else, or white (Tools, Options, Appearance, Text document, Field shadings), but remember that it's an aid for you.
I suppose that would work, but my current interest is in a spread sheet, not a text document.
I know, the odd thing is that the color setting for field shadings in Text documents also works for spreadsheets. I tested that before posting my previous.
OpenOffice 4.1.11 on Ubuntu; LibreOffice 6.4 on Linux Mint, LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Ubuntu
If your problem has been solved or your question has been answered, please edit the first post in this thread and add [Solved] to the title bar.
Nederlandstalig forum
Bob Coleman

Post by Bob Coleman »

floris v wrote:
Bob Coleman wrote:
I know, the odd thing is that the color setting for field shadings in Text documents also works for spreadsheets. I tested that before posting my previous.
Ah, right you are!