Acquiring and importing data from source spreadsheet

Discuss the spreadsheet application
CNR

Acquiring and importing data from source spreadsheet

Post by CNR »

Hi all !

I have a source sheet with 3 columns: "Product ID" , "Product description" and "Price".
I need to make another sheet where one will key in the "Product ID" and the sheet will import the corresponding description and price.

Can someone please give me a hint on how it could be done the easiest way ?

I don't know where to start searching, database ? is there a function that could do it ?

Thanks
Openoffice 4.1.6 - Windows 10Pro
RusselB

Re: Acquiring and importing data from source spreadsheet

Post by RusselB »

A database might not be a bad idea to look at, but if you haven't used them before, the learning curve can be steep.
If you want to keep to Calc, then you're probably looking for the VLOOKUP function.
The VLOOKUP function is the easiest method I'm aware of.
OpenOffice 4.1.7, LibreOffice 7.0.1.2 on Windows 7 Pro, Ultimate & Windows 10 Home (2004)
If you believe your problem has been resolved, please go to your first post in this topic, click the Edit button and add [Solved] to the beginning of the Subject line.
CNR

Post by CNR »

No, i haven't used database before and i was hoping not to have to at this time :-)
can VLOOKUP work with 2 different files ? i.e.: source file and target file ? i was looking at DGET right now, trying to figure out if it can accept a data range from a different file.

thanks !
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Why not expand the source file to have another sheet, the result sheet?
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
CNR

Post by CNR »

yeah that's ok. So can VLOOKUP or DGET get the data range from a different sheet ?
RusselB

Post by RusselB »

Earlier you said a source sheet, rather than a source file.
If the source file is a spreadsheet, then VLOOKUP can work with a different file.
If the source is not a spreadsheet, then the database functions that are available in Calc may be the way to go.
While you may not need the full database yet, it sounds to me like you might in the future, so it might be a good idea to start reading up on them.
OpenOffice 4.1.7, LibreOffice 7.0.1.2 on Windows 7 Pro, Ultimate & Windows 10 Home (2004)
If you believe your problem has been resolved, please go to your first post in this topic, click the Edit button and add [Solved] to the beginning of the Subject line.
CNR

Post by CNR »

Ok, i'll go with VLOOKUP then.

I know you're right about the database, it's on my to do list but most likely next month when i'll have enough spare time from work.

Thank you both very much :-)
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

RusselB wrote:If the source file is a spreadsheet, then VLOOKUP can work with a different file.
If the source is not a spreadsheet, then the database functions that are available in Calc may be the way to go.
https://libreoffice.org can do the trick with csv files as well. It prompts for import options when refreshing the link.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice