Lost all OO documents on new PC

Discuss setup / installation issues - Add a spell checker, Language pack?
bubbles

Lost all OO documents on new PC

Post by bubbles »

Hi All, I did a factory reset on my PC Windows 8.1 but it failed to fix the problem. I purchased a new PC with Windows 10, installed OO, downloaded Dropbox but all of my OO documents (text or excel) are now missing. I am able to see some Windows Word documents in Dropbox. Any ideas how to get all my precious information back on my new PC?

2. Also, when I create a new OO document, save it and then retrieve it, I am unable to make changes/add/delete on the document. Again, any help would be appreciated.
Open Office 4.1.1
Windows 10
RoryOF

Re: Lost all OO documents on new PC

Post by RoryOF »

The documents should be visible on Dropbox; they will not show on OpenOffice's Recent Documents list until they have individually been opened using OO's /File /Open, as the new installation of OpenOffice knows nothing about them until that is done. Not using Dropbox, I cannot tell you how to open the folder there containing your files.

What happens if you Save your file locally - i.e. to your hard drive? Are you then able to open it and edit it? Have you set Windows Defender to permit that?
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
RusselB

Post by RusselB »

Welcome to the Forums.
1) The file associations weren't changed when you did the installation of OpenOffice or they were changed and something (I'm suspecting Windows Defender) changed them back to using M$ Office (Word, Excel, etc.)
See Setting the default program for MS defaults for instructions on making those changes.
2) This, again, I suspect is due to Windows Defender. See Problems with Windows Defender under Windows 10 for more information.
OpenOffice 4.1.7, LibreOffice 7.0.1.2 on Windows 7 Pro, Ultimate & Windows 10 Home (2004)
If you believe your problem has been resolved, please go to your first post in this topic, click the Edit button and add [Solved] to the beginning of the Subject line.
bubbles

Post by bubbles »

RoryOF wrote:The documents should be visible on Dropbox; they will not show on OpenOffice's Recent Documents list until they have individually been opened using OO's /File /Open, as the new installation of OpenOffice knows nothing about them until that is done. Not using Dropbox, I cannot tell you how to open the folder there containing your files.

What happens if you Save your file locally - i.e. to your hard drive? Are you then able to open it and edit it? Have you set Windows Defender to permit that?
Thank you for your response. When I save my file locally, I am able to retrieve it and make changes to it.
Open Office 4.1.1
Windows 10
bubbles

Post by bubbles »

RusselB wrote:Welcome to the Forums.
1) The file associations weren't changed when you did the installation of OpenOffice or they were changed and something (I'm suspecting Windows Defender) changed them back to using M$ Office (Word, Excel, etc.)
See Setting the default program for MS defaults for instructions on making those changes.
2) This, again, I suspect is due to Windows Defender. See Problems with Windows Defender under Windows 10 for more information.
Thank you for your response. When I try to follow the steps to allow AAO, it seems that Windows is blocking me from doing this.
Open Office 4.1.1
Windows 10
RusselB

Post by RusselB »

Try the link for the Defender problems first
OpenOffice 4.1.7, LibreOffice 7.0.1.2 on Windows 7 Pro, Ultimate & Windows 10 Home (2004)
If you believe your problem has been resolved, please go to your first post in this topic, click the Edit button and add [Solved] to the beginning of the Subject line.