Inserting a video clip into a document

Discuss the presentation application
alex4orly

Inserting a video clip into a document

Post by alex4orly »

I tried all sorts of video file formats, I get the same error - file format not supported.
Updated to the latest OO 4.1.16
Same error

Any idea?

Thanks
OpenOffice 4.1.3 on Windows 8.1
John_Ha
Volunteer

Re: Inserting a video clip into a document

Post by John_Ha »

Search the forum with video and tutorial.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
alex4orly

Post by alex4orly »

Thanks,

I searched the forum with all the phrases I could think of, but there is no answer anywhere
If you know of a tutorial in the forum, please send me the link

Cheers
Bidouille
Volunteer

Post by Bidouille »

alex4orly wrote:I tried all sorts of video file formats, I get the same error - file format not supported
search.php?st=0&sk=t&sd=d&sr=posts&keyw ... d%5B%5D=10
alex4orly

Post by alex4orly »

Thaks for the feedback
I will follow the links you kindly provided

Cheers
rondelp1464

Post by rondelp1464 »

I am also having problems inserting a video file in an Impress presentation slide (already saved as a PPT file). I have just saved the file as an ODP, and it did not solve the problem. I have tried AVI, MP4, and WMV formats without success. Anyone else solved this problem. I am running OpenOffice 4.1.6 on a Windows 8.1 machine. I have never had any other issues with OpenOffice. I love it.
Ron Delp
OpenOffice version 4.1.6
Windows 8.1
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

My videos are usually long clips - several minutes, so I use a rather clunky method: I insert a hyperlink either to my video clip, or to a command line of the system video player pointing to the video clip, with any necessary command line parameters included. These methods mean that the system video player handles the video; you may need to turn off the video player application or cause it to live in the background.

Using this method, you must ensure that your video clip lives in a known location relative to the presentation file, and is moved to any host computer with it, as it is not now embedded.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
rondelp1464

Post by rondelp1464 »

Thanks, but I really need a way to get the video embedded in the presentation so that it does not need the separate video file to reside with the presentation. I need to be able to email the presentation to a person and not require them to also make sure that the separate video file is handled correctly as well.
Ron Delp
OpenOffice version 4.1.6
Windows 8.1
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Display of an embedded video will depend on the correct codecs being installed on the target computer; these are not installed by OpenOffice. If embedding is to work you probably need to use older formats, such as .avi or .mpg. Display will also require OpenOffice Impress or MS Office Powerpoint to be installed on the target computer; you can have no guarantee that these will be available.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
rondelp1464

Post by rondelp1464 »

Thanks for the information. I am quite certain that the Gentlemen who I planned to email the presentation to will have Microsoft Office/PowerPoint on their (work) computers, but NOT OpenOffice. That is the reason I originally saved the file as a PPT presentation (I have OpenOffice on my home PC, but NOT Microsoft Office/PowerPoint). It sounds like this is kind of unworkable in a realistic sense. I was hoping for an obscure solution that would allow me to do what I was hoping to accomplish. Oh well, it is not that critical that I accomplish what I was hoping to do.
Thanks again for your help.
Ron Delp
OpenOffice version 4.1.6
Windows 8.1