[Solved] File saving blocked

Discuss the word processor
2KatJeff

[Solved] File saving blocked

Post by 2KatJeff »

This is a new thing for me. When I try to save a new or altered document in Open Office Writer, the action is blocked by the Windows Firewall (I think). I added the Apache Word processor to the exception file list in the Firewall but I'm apparently not adding the correct file or application that Windows is looking for. I get a mini Window quote "General input/output error while accessing document xxx.odt". The Windows message is: " Controlled folder access blocked C\Programs...\soffice.bin from making changes to the folder %userprofile%\Documents.

If memory serves, this seems to have started since I downloaded the latest Office upgrade.

Additionally, I can't close the Office file at all unless I click on the 'Discard" prompt OR if I shutdown my PC altogether. Oddly, when I restart Office, I do a recovery of the file which will came back intact, that is, as the changed file. HELP!
Last edited by robleyd on Sun Jul 14, 2019 2:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Tagged [Solved]
Open Office Version 4.1.6 on Windows 10.
RusselB

Re: File saving blocked

Post by RusselB »

Welcome to the Forums.
As you are using Windows 10, I noticed a similarity between your post and others, and the program that's causing the problem isn't your Firewall (that actually is protection from the internet), but a new item in Windows 10 called Defender.
As I don't use Windows 10, I can't advise you on how to make the adjustments needed for your system, but Windows Defender (probably) is the culprit.
OpenOffice 4.1.7, LibreOffice 7.0.1.2 on Windows 7 Pro, Ultimate & Windows 10 Home (2004)
If you believe your problem has been resolved, please go to your first post in this topic, click the Edit button and add [Solved] to the beginning of the Subject line.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Or perhaps a permissions problem with your Ransomware detector.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
2KatJeff

Post by 2KatJeff »

Well, Apache office is on the 'allowed' apps list in the Defender section but public not private which i suspect is the issue. I'm fairly certain the issues is in fact a Windows one so coming here (to Open Office) for a fix isn't probably the best way to correct it. The problem is, I've yet to get a response from Microsoft on ANY issues. In any case, thanx for the help & suggestions.
RusselB

Post by RusselB »

Seems the only people that get an actual response from Microsoft are those with big bank balances...ie: millions of dollars
OpenOffice 4.1.7, LibreOffice 7.0.1.2 on Windows 7 Pro, Ultimate & Windows 10 Home (2004)
If you believe your problem has been resolved, please go to your first post in this topic, click the Edit button and add [Solved] to the beginning of the Subject line.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

What happens if you right click on OpenOffice and select "Run as Administrator" from the popup? Can you then Save?
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
2KatJeff

Post by 2KatJeff »

Good idea but it responds the same way. No dice
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

2KatJeff wrote:Well, Apache office is on the 'allowed' apps list in the Defender section but public not private which i suspect is the issue.
What do you mean by "public not private"? Did you install OpenOffice for one user only? To me "public" and "private" refers to folders, not apps.
AOO 4.1.14 on Ubuntu MATE 22.04
2KatJeff

Post by 2KatJeff »

While in Windows Defender, you can see a drop down list of all the programs on the PC (presumably) and each has a 'public' & 'private' box. Some apps have both boxes checked and some have one or the other and some have none checked. Though the prompts suggest that you can change these settings, they can't. I tried.
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

2KatJeff wrote:While in Windows Defender, you can see a drop down list of all the programs on the PC (presumably) and each has a 'public' & 'private' box. Some apps have both boxes checked and some have one or the other and some have none checked. Though the prompts suggest that you can change these settings, they can't. I tried.
I no longer have Windows 10 and don't recall those public and private boxes, so I searched for images that have those boxes. What I found was on the "allowed apps" settings for Windows Firewall. "Public" and "private" probably refer to public and private networks. Those are not the settings you need to change. You need to check the settings for "Controlled Folder Access" which is a different component of Windows Defender.
AOO 4.1.14 on Ubuntu MATE 22.04
2KatJeff

Post by 2KatJeff »

Okay, thank you for the suggestion and I'll see if that works.
robleyd

Post by robleyd »

Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
LibreOffice 24.2.2.2; SlackBuild for 24.2.2 by Eric Hameleers
2KatJeff

Post by 2KatJeff »

.Wahoo! The tutorial worked. I can save my files now. many thanks to all who helped.