[Solved] Format error not allowing me to open .odt file

Discuss setup / installation issues - Add a spell checker, Language pack?
apang

[Solved] Format error not allowing me to open .odt file

Post by apang »

Hi everyone,

I recently received a large manuscript back from my editor loaded with many comments. Sine Open Office operates quite slowly with large documents, I've been writing in a different document and posting the changes in the main manuscript.

But I am unable to open my manuscript now. The error message says:

Now that I come to reopen the file to continue working on it I get the following message:

Format error discovered in the file in sub-document content.xml at 2,4,805(row,col)

Could someone please help me? I tried to follow the instructions but I am not tech-savvy.

What caused this to happen? How can I avoid this in the future?

Many thanks in advance!
Last edited by apang on Mon Jul 08, 2019 2:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Open Office 4.1.6, Windows
robleyd

Re: Format error not allowing me to open .odt file

Post by robleyd »

I think I have repaired the file; but it is too large to attach here. Perhaps you could PM me with an email address to which I can return the document?

As to the cause - others here have suggested that it may be related to comments being attached to text ranges. I note there are in excess of 670 comments in the file. Sometimes change tracking has caused problems as well.

You might consider some sort of backup strategy - there is an AOO extension Time stamped backup which you might want to use.
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
LibreOffice 24.2.2.2; SlackBuild for 24.2.2 by Eric Hameleers
John_Ha
Volunteer

Re: Format error not allowing me to open .odt file

Post by John_Ha »

robleyd wrote:As to the cause - others here have suggested that it may be related to comments being attached to text ranges.
David

I think it is comments attached to text ranges by MS Word which causes the problem.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.