Default to Wordpad

Discuss the word processor
anewday

Default to Wordpad

Post by anewday »

Open Writer and type what's needed. after i save and need to change something the document has defaulted from open office writer to wordpad. can this be changed to just openoffice writer only?
OpenOffice 4.1.6 on windows 10
RusselB

Re: default to wordpad

Post by RusselB »

Welcome to the Forums.
This deals with the file associations.
It is strongly recommended that, when using Writer, be sure to save your information/document(s) using the Open Document Format (.odt extension).
There is a tutorial here that shows how to set the file associations.
While the tutorial is designed for the MS Office file types, the instructions will be similar for changing the file association that you are having trouble with.
I can't recall ever using Wordpad, so I don't know what file types it has associated with it, but the .odt extension should not be one of them.
OpenOffice 4.1.7, LibreOffice 7.0.1.2 on Windows 7 Pro, Ultimate & Windows 10 Home (2004)
If you believe your problem has been resolved, please go to your first post in this topic, click the Edit button and add [Solved] to the beginning of the Subject line.
robleyd

Post by robleyd »

Apparently your file associations need to be set correctly; please see this forum topic, which has information on changing your file associations.

Here is a link with pictures showing ways of changing default programs in Win 10.

I'd guess you might be saving in RTF format so I would second RusselB's advice to save in OpenOffice native format.
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
LibreOffice 24.2.1.2; SlackBuild for 24.2.1 by Eric Hameleers
Zizi64
Volunteer

Post by Zizi64 »

It is a bad idea to save your documents into a foreign file format. You will lost a lot of formatting properties and features with the Wordpad format.

Always work and store your important documents in the International Standard ODF fileformats. And at the end of the editing export a copy into the foreign file format.
Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO7.5.8 /Win7-10 x64Prof.
PortableApps/winPenPack: LO3.3.0-7.6.2;AOO4.1.14
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.