[SOLVED] Add Word Count to the Status Bar 4.1.6

Discuss the word processor
JohnTome

[SOLVED] Add Word Count to the Status Bar 4.1.6

Post by JohnTome »

As an editor this function is crucial for me - to see and monitor word count at a glance, ongoing.

On 4.1.5 this extension worked like a charm for years. viewtopic.php?f=7&t=69778#p312387

However as soon as I upgraded to 4.1.6 , OO simply hung and nothing happened. I uninstalled and reinstalled some 5 times before being able to simply operate in 'basic' format.

Does anyone please have a current solution to incorporate the word count into the status bar in 4.1.6 ?

Many thanks in advance - looking forward to a positive solution. ;)
Last edited by robleyd on Wed Jul 03, 2019 12:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Add green tick
OpenOffice 4.1.6 on Windows 7
Villeroy
Volunteer

Re: NEW - Add Word Count to the Status Bar 4.1.6

Post by Villeroy »

The solution to this problem and hundreds of others is https://libreoffice.org/ which is the successor to OpenOffice since 2011. OpenOffice is no longer actively developed.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
RusselB

Re: NEW - Add Word Count to the Status Bar 4.1.6

Post by RusselB »

Welcome to the Forums.
I don't have any suggestions for getting 4.1.6 to work as you are asking, but due to the small number of changes between 4.1.5 and 4.1.6, I'm going to suggest that you uninstall 4.1.6, then download and install 4.1.5
You'll have to do a little more work on the download page to ensure that the correct version is being downloaded.
While I'm not familiar with that extension, it appears that, from what you are saying, that there's some difference between 4.1.5 and 4.1.6 that makes that extension unusable.
Another option, is to download and install LibreOffice which has the word and character counts in the status bar by default.
OpenOffice 4.1.7, LibreOffice 7.0.1.2 on Windows 7 Pro, Ultimate & Windows 10 Home (2004)
If you believe your problem has been resolved, please go to your first post in this topic, click the Edit button and add [Solved] to the beginning of the Subject line.
JohnTome

Re: [SOLVED] Add Word Count to the Status Bar 4.1.6

Post by JohnTome »

Thank you Villeroy and Russel.
Had no idea Libre existed and is the successor to OpenOffice.
Have installed and am in the process of customising. Word count is right there where i need it. :)
OpenOffice 4.1.6 on Windows 7
Bidouille
Volunteer

Post by Bidouille »

FYI I use AOO 4.1.6 and Word Count Status Bar Control 0.2.2 with no problem.
JohnTome wrote:I uninstalled and reinstalled some 5 times
As usual, it necessary to reset the user profile between these 2 steps.
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

JohnTome wrote:I uninstalled and reinstalled some 5 times before being able to simply operate in 'basic' format.
This is not a typical Windows application. No matter how often you delete and reinstall the same version, you always get the exact same program with the eact same registry settings.
A broken setup is hidden in the profile folder. Non-Windows programs strictly separate user data from application data. Your preferences, your macros, your templates, your spell check dictionaries, your auto-text entries remain on disk, even after you uninstalled the program. When you install it next time, all your data are still there and you get the same setup. You can transfer the profile folder to other machines (including Mac and Linux) in order to get the same office (more or less) on any system. Programs like this one do not write much into the registry.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice