[Solved] Editing a double column document

Discuss the word processor
mpstvns

[Solved] Editing a double column document

Post by mpstvns »

I am trying to create a document that facilitates memorization of Scripture: Psalm 119, NKJV.
This Psalm is arranged in 176 "8 verse sections", based on the Hebrew alphabet. After the first section, in column one, I attempted to use the column break to enter the next section in column two. That is the only manual break that works as I intend it to. After entering verses 8-16 in column two, I attempted to use the manual column break to return to column one to enter verses 17 through 24, directly below verses 1 through 8,already entered in column one. When I select the manual break, after entering verses 9 through 16 in column two, the typing curser goes to the top of the next page, column one, affecting both a column and page break simultaneously and voiding further formatted typing on page one. Just now I thought perhaps I could just use the TAB button to effectively format the text as desired. In the meantime, is there a way to use a two column document to create what I have described? Thank you. I am very green in using forums; will I get some kind of email if anybody has a solution to my problem, or do I just need to log in to check for updates to this thread? Thank you, MS :(
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Sat Jul 06, 2019 10:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: tagged solved
Michael Stevens, Apache OpenOffice 4.1.6 Installed on Windows 10 HP Envy Laptop
FJCC

Re: Editing a double column document

Post by FJCC »

I think a table with two columns would work better for you than pages with two columns. Use the menu Table -> Insert -> Table to add the table to your document. There you can set the number of columns and rows. Adding rows is easy, so do not worry too much about getting that exactly right.
OpenOffice 4.1 on Windows 10 and Linux Mint
If your question is answered, please go to your first post, select the Edit button, and add [Solved] to the beginning of the title.
mpstvns

Re: Editing a double column document

Post by mpstvns »

Thank you. However, in the meantime I figured out a work around: Do the first column, first paragraph. Switch columns once, using the manual column break hotkey; then do 2nd column, first paragraph. At the end of that paragraph, switch columns manually using the curser and mouse. At the bottom of the page where there is obviously not enough room for another paragraph in the first column, do a page break and start over. This process worked perfectly-- the lesson for me using this software is don't use the hotkey manual column switch unless absolutely necessary--that being when you can't switch columns with the curser and mouse. Thank you for your idea, I'm sure that would have worked just as well!
Michael Stevens, Apache OpenOffice 4.1.6 Installed on Windows 10 HP Envy Laptop