Setting up cover and or inside pages

Discuss the word processor
Larry5000

Setting up cover and or inside pages

Post by Larry5000 »

First off I will ask if there are any videos of people setting up writer to do book covers and or inside pages or both?

I am on this thing now where I need to convert my files to a PDF to load up to a flip book of sorts. I already did this as a test with a few pages and it seem to work. But this flip book needs a front cover and a back cover. That is where I am stuck in a way. I assume we can set up writer to do the covers and the inside pages at the same time thus having just one file to convert to PDF? If we have to do two separate files, one for the covers and one for the insides I am not sure how to combined the two together to make one PDF or if the flip book software can take both PDFs and combined them in that program to make one flip book?

I get along much better watching videos. I seen one on youtube a guy from the UK was doing one on just the cover to some degree but really never mentioned going into to set up the insides. Even after this whole flip book thing I will still need to know this information for my paperback book with Amazon/KDP so it would be very helpful in either case. If there is not a video but a true step by step from beginning to end page that deals with this please send me a link to that.

Once again the biggest thing is hopefully doing just one thing for everything covers and insides, or if I have to do two separate files being able to combined them together for one file to convert to PDF. Thank you in advance.
Larry
Larry Roop
Open Office 4.1.2
Windows 10
Zizi64
Volunteer

Re: Setting up cover and or inside pages

Post by Zizi64 »

If we have to do two separate files, one for the covers and one for the insides I am not sure how to combined the two together to make one PDF
Create and apply your own Page Styles for the cover pages and an another one (or more) for the inside pages in a single .odt file.
(Always use the native, International Standard ODF file formats.)
Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO7.5.8 /Win7-10 x64Prof.
PortableApps/winPenPack: LO3.3.0-7.6.2;AOO4.1.14
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
Larry5000

Post by Larry5000 »

Well I am planning to have the cover as one whole picture With the title of the book already on the picture. So I guess it is a matter of just doing the inside pages, that of which I still am not very good at making sure everything get numbered accordingly. Still hoping somebody has a step by step tutorial on this. Someday I might be able to look back on all of this and say I am a wiz at this whole thing.... right now tho I need all the help I can get. Also was going to ask is if there are any templates already setup for this kind of thing, where I can add my picture cover on the front and the pages are ready to go ... preferably for a 6 X 9 which as long as I can turn it into a PDF for my flip book thing I will be OK... then use it for my paperback later on.
Larry
Larry Roop
Open Office 4.1.2
Windows 10
Zizi64
Volunteer

Post by Zizi64 »

The usage of the styles is the most basic method of the efficient editing in the AOO and LO. If you can nor use the styles, then you can not work efficiently with the office suite. There are many descriptions and books about the usage of the styles. Here is two of them:
https://opensource.com/article/17/10/cr ... ice-writer
http://www.taming-libreoffice.com/2018/ ... published/

And there are third party templetes for the books. like the:
https://extensions.libreoffice.org/temp ... k-template

Here is my short description about the page styles.
Apply the page styles regularly by the menu item (the example is from LO 6.1.6):
Insert - More Breaks - Manual breaks - Page Break / Style (choose one of the existing styles) - Change the page number (it is is necessary) - OK.

(The menu structure is different in the AOO and the older LO versions:
Insert - Manual break - Page Break / Style (choose one of the existing styles) - Check-in and change the page number (if it is is necessary) - OK.)

1.: Create three Page Styles named:
- Front Cover page
- Inside pages
- Back Cover page

2.: Adjust their properties (size, orientation, margins, etc...)

3.: Apply them from the menu decribed above.
- Put the cursor on the cover page of your document, and double click on the Front Cover page style on the "Styles and formatting - Page Styles" section of the Sidebar. Now all of the document will be formatted with Front Cover page style.

- Put the cursor to the end of the last paragraph of the Cover page.The Cover page has at least one paragraph even if its whole content is a picture or when it is empty. (If you vant an empty page inside of the cover page, then you can hit Shift Enter. It will insert an empty page. The AOO/LO can insert such empty page automatically, depended on the settings of the page styles.)

- Use the menu item:
Insert - Manual break - Page Break / Style (choose the "Inside pages" style) - Check-in and change the page number property (if it is is necessary) - OK.
You can reset the page number on the second/third page (= on the first Inside page) to 1.
Now the Cover page/s/ has/have/ Front Cover page style, and the rest of the document has "Inside pages" style.

- Repeat this tsteps at the end of the content of the inside pages: set the Back cover style in same way.

NOTE:
The MS binary document format (.doc) can not handle the Page styles! Always use the ODF fileformats (.odt)!
Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO7.5.8 /Win7-10 x64Prof.
PortableApps/winPenPack: LO3.3.0-7.6.2;AOO4.1.14
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.