Book cover

Writing a book, Automating Document Production - Discuss your special needs here
Jalinsun

Book cover

Post by Jalinsun »

I am producing a book. For printing I must have one contiguous document containing the interior content plus the covers. The cover is a photograph which covers the entire surface. I am having trouble getting the photo to stretch outside the margins. Can you help please? Thanks.
Open office 4.1.3 Microsoft windows 7 home premium
Zizi64
Volunteer

Re: Book cover

Post by Zizi64 »

Use an user defined Page Style for the cover page, with zero margin settings.

Note: the most of the printers can not print a page with zero margins...
Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO7.5.8 /Win7-10 x64Prof.
PortableApps/winPenPack: LO3.3.0-7.6.2;AOO4.1.14
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

If you insert the photo by Insert > Picture ..., you can stretch it to the sheet edges.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
Jalinsun

Post by Jalinsun »

Thank you. Yes, I have been playing with the page styles and can see it sort of works. I am finding them difficult to control though. I set the style for one page and then insert a page with a different style and then find my cover page has also swapped to the new style. I guess I just need to practise more?

Also, can I set up a new style, name it, and then store it so it is available for subsequent documents? I seem to have to set them up for each new document.

Thanks again for your help
Open office 4.1.3 Microsoft windows 7 home premium
Zizi64
Volunteer

Post by Zizi64 »

1.: Always use the native, international standard ODF fileformats if you want to work efficiently with the AOO and LO.

2.: Apply the page styles regularly by the menu item (the example is from LO 6.1.6):
Insert - More Breaks - Manual breaks - Page Break / Style (choose one of the existing styles) - OK.
(The menu structure is different in the AOO and the older LO versions)
Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO7.5.8 /Win7-10 x64Prof.
PortableApps/winPenPack: LO3.3.0-7.6.2;AOO4.1.14
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.