[Solved] Error Msg: Document in Use

Discuss the word processor
mudclam

[Solved] Error Msg: Document in Use

Post by mudclam »

Searching forum found this question asked before, but I can't understand the answer given.

After years of use, OO suddenly gives this error message on every document I try to open: Document in Use. Document file _______ is locked for editing by: Unknown User.

Recently, a new hard disk was installed and so was Malwarebytes. However, everything else works fine. This is the only new glitch. I uninstalled and reinstalled OpenOffice, and the problem remains unchanged. I am the only user of this Windows 10 laptop using OpenOffice 4.1.6. Can't find any Settings to review in OO. Can you help me get back to normal open-edit-resave routine on my docs?
Last edited by robleyd on Tue Jun 25, 2019 1:46 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Add green tick
OpenOffice 4.1.6 on Windows 10
RoryOF

Re: Error Msg: Document in Use

Post by RoryOF »

Are the files marked "Read-only" in the top bar of OO's window? If so, they may have acquired a read-only attribute in transfer from the old hard disk.

Turn on viewing of read-only and archive files and look in the root of your OO User Profile for a lock file of form .lock

If found, delete this and try again.

Also, can you start OO, and make and Save/reopen a trivial test file (just to check all is working correctly)?

Also, check Windows Defender settings to allow OO access your file directories.

If this "Read-only" applies to certain files, with viewing of hidden and archive files turned on, look in the directory in which that file is Saved and delete any lock file found there. Such deletion of lock files should only be done when OO is closed.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
mudclam

Re: [Solved] Error Msg: Document in Use

Post by mudclam »

While checking if the same problem would happen in Wordpad, an error message from Avast Antivirus popped up. Yesterday I added my entire Documents folder into ransomware protection. I believe the message I saw in OO about the file being in use by an unknown user appeared as a result of that action. When I took my Documents folder out of ransomware protection, OO went back to working normally. I'm using the paid version of Avast (don't know if ransomware protection is part of the free version). The Avast message never appeared in OO, so someone who has this problem but doesn't happen to try replicating it in a different word processor would never get alerted that the problem is coming from their antivirus or ransomware protection. I hope members who get that Document in Use message can be warned that their antivirus or ransomware protection may send that message because it's "protecting" your documents.

Thanks for your suggestions. I appreciate OpenOffice and this forum being available at the perfect price.
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

mudclam wrote:I hope members who get that Document in Use message can be warned that their antivirus or ransomware protection may send that message because it's "protecting" your documents.
You can submit an enhancement request.
[Tutorial] Reporting bugs or suggestions

Ransomware protection must be configured to allow apps to modify files in protected folders.
Ransomware Shield - Getting Started
AOO 4.1.14 on Ubuntu MATE 22.04
mudclam

Post by mudclam »

Hey, thanks for both of those helpful links, Bill.