Cannot open .doc file with password from teacher

Discuss the word processor
T_rza

Cannot open .doc file with password from teacher

Post by T_rza »

Hi,

I wrote a report in open office, saved it with a password in microsoft word 97/2000/XP(.doc) and sent it to my teacher. They were able to open it using microsoft word and sent it back to me with the same password and notes.

However, I cannot open the file I got back from my teacher. It says "read-error" "the encryption method used in this document is not supported. Could it be that my teacher encrypted it as 97/2003 (.doc)? How can I fix this. I only want to open it.
Openoffice 4.1.2 on Wondows 10
RusselB

Re: Cannot open .doc file with password from teacher

Post by RusselB »

Welcome to the Forums.
The easiest way is to have you ask your teacher to send the modified report back in the 97/2000/XP (.doc) format.
Can you find out what version of MS Office your teacher is using? If it's 2003 or later (if memory serves), then your teacher could send the file back to you using the Open Document Format (.odt extension for Writer)
They would simply have to save the file in the Open Document Format (.odt), instead of as a .doc

Technically there is nothing you can fix in this regard, as the problem is with the file being received from your teacher.

If, for some reason your teacher is unwilling or unable to do one of the above suggestions, then you could try downloading and installing a version of Libre Office ... actually you could try that with the current document, rather than asking your teacher for additional help.
OpenOffice 4.1.7, LibreOffice 7.0.1.2 on Windows 7 Pro, Ultimate & Windows 10 Home (2004)
If you believe your problem has been resolved, please go to your first post in this topic, click the Edit button and add [Solved] to the beginning of the Subject line.
T_rza

Post by T_rza »

Thanks a lot RusselB. I will try with Libre Office. I think my teacher is using windows 2003 or later. As the same problems is the case with all my reports I prefer to fix it on my own.

But in the future is it better to send my files as .odt? Can they then still open it with word? Or will I have the same problem if they save it as .doc?
Openoffice 4.1.2 on Wondows 10
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

See [Tutorial] Differences between Writer and MS Word files for a discussion of supported passwords.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.