[Solved] Lost spell check after crash

Discuss the word processor
Jeff Williams

[Solved] Lost spell check after crash

Post by Jeff Williams »

I am running Windows 10. Whilst using WRITER I experienced some unusual activity on my screen and Open Office CRASHED. When I started it up again my document was recovered, but there were wavy red lines under every word. I started to add the underlined words to my standard dictionary and the lines disappeared from under each word added in the document. I looked on the Forum site and found that there was a suggestion (Windows 7) of how it may be because my user profile was corrupt. It gave a sketchy explanation of how to remove the user profile, but I could not manage it. I googled changing the user profile on Windows 10, but got confused. Can anyone help please? Jeff
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Fri Jun 21, 2019 9:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: tagged solved
Open Office 4.1.6 Windows 10
robleyd

Re: Writer

Post by robleyd »

Did you look at [Solved] Spell Check Not Working (words red underlined) ? Under the Manual method there is advice on how to find the user profile with links to screenshots which should be similar for later Windows versions.
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
LibreOffice 24.2.2.2; SlackBuild for 24.2.2 by Eric Hameleers
Jeff Williams

Post by Jeff Williams »

Dear All, Thank you for all your help. Thanks to the Tutorial I have managed to solve it and I am UP AND RUNNING AGAIN.
YOU ARE A FANTASTIC BUNCH..... God bless, Jeff
Open Office 4.1.6 Windows 10
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Loss of Spellcheck can occur in a number of ways. A system or program crash, as you relate, is one. A more common reason is over-hasty power-off of the computer, which does not allow the OO housekeeping information to be flushed from the internal buffers of the hard drives and written to to the disks.

So to prevent this happening, we recommend that one uses the correct computer close down procedure, and waits a few seconds for all disk activity to cease, before cutting the power or closing the laptop lid.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS