OpenOffice will not open at all

Issues installing under the Mac OSX - X11 - Aqua
Romes

OpenOffice will not open at all

Post by Romes »

Hi I'm wondering if anyone can help me. I'm running MAC OS Mojave 10.14.4 with the latest version of open office and cannot get it to open at all. This was also happening before I installed the newest version of OO (Hence why I tried it to see if it would work). I have tried everything. It says "Open office Quite unexpectedly". I have loaded and re loaded the application, re started my computer, gone to security settings in system prefenrecnes to allow downloads other than from the app store and nada. I have all these documents on file as I am a writer and can't access anything!!! Any ideas?
open office 4.1.6 on Mac OS 10.14.4
robleyd

Re: Open Office will not open at all

Post by robleyd »

Did you follow the Installation instructions for Mac when you installed AOO? Similar information can be found at Q3/Q3 of [Tutorial] Mac FAQ.
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
LibreOffice 24.2.2.2; SlackBuild for 24.2.2 by Eric Hameleers
Romes

Post by Romes »

Thanks for your reply. It wasn’t working with my existing open office, so I had to reinstall it and it still didn’t. So I don’t think it’s an installation issue?
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Are you attempting to open your documents by (double) clicking on them (is it single click on a Mac)? Can you start OpenOffice on its own from a programs button or menu, then use /File /Open to point to a document? Does it then open?

If so, you need to remake the File Associations to tell your computer which program to use to open which type of file.
 Edit: When we know the above information, we can advise on setting the File Associations. 
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
robleyd

Post by robleyd »

Try this forum search which may provide some solutions.
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
LibreOffice 24.2.2.2; SlackBuild for 24.2.2 by Eric Hameleers
Romes

Post by Romes »

I’ve tried double clicking on a document, clicking on the icon for the app and also tried file open. It comes up with the same alert which is “open office quit unexpectedly”.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

I cannot advise with any certainty on a Mac; as it is a variant of linux, perhaps the linux trick of opening a terminal and typing "openoffice4" (no quotes or capitals) might give some helpful diagnostic information, if that method works on a Mac, which I do not know.
MrProgrammer

Re: OpenOffice will not open at all

Post by MrProgrammer »

Romes wrote:I'm running MAC OS Mojave 10.14.4 with the latest version of open office and cannot get it to open at all.
Review [Tutorial] Mac FAQ Q02/A02, Q15/A15, Q28/A28, and perhaps others. I don't use MacOS 10.14 myself. Uninstall/reinstall is most likely a waste of your time. See if the problem occurs using the Guest User account. Review similar topics in the forum to see if any ideas there help.

If this solved your problem please go to your first post use the Edit button and add [Solved] to the start of the title. You can select the green checkmark icon at the same time.
Mr. Programmer
AOO 4.1.7 Build 9800, MacOS 13.6.3, iMac Intel.   The locale for any menus or Calc formulas in my posts is English (USA).
lgusaas
Volunteer

Post by lgusaas »

Romes wrote:I’ve tried double clicking on a document, clicking on the icon for the app and also tried file open. It comes up with the same alert which is “open office quit unexpectedly”.
Can you start OpenOffice itself, and then start a new document?
Larry I. Gusaas
Moose Jaw, SK Canada
"An artist is never ahead of his time but most people are far behind theirs." Edgard Varese
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.14 — MacBook Air (M1)—macOS Ver.13.5 Ventura
Romes

Post by Romes »

I cannot. It will not open at all.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Did it ever open, in any way, on your current Mac?
lgusaas
Volunteer

Post by lgusaas »

Romes wrote:I cannot. It will not open at all.
Did you reset your user profile? (one of the suggestions you look at in a previous post.)
viewtopic.php?f=74&t=89283 FAQ Q02/A02
Larry I. Gusaas
Moose Jaw, SK Canada
"An artist is never ahead of his time but most people are far behind theirs." Edgard Varese
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.14 — MacBook Air (M1)—macOS Ver.13.5 Ventura