Sum comma-separated numbers in Writer

Discuss the word processor
bfunk1987

Sum comma-separated numbers in Writer

Post by bfunk1987 »

Hello My name is B really new here just got Open Office yesterday. Well im creating these documents to help with my inventory at work and I ran into a issue I cant quite figure out. So I've looked around in the survival guide and all but really didn't find a definitive answer(Probably cause its so many things in one) but anyway why not just ask then. I wrote most of it out in the attached image. Ill explain tho, the first column is the prices, the second column is the amount of items(which are several values) and the last column is the total for each row. So what I need to happen first is everything in the second column added together. Then multiply that by the first column which would go in the third column. Then everything in the last column added together in the final row. Is this possible?
 Edit: Subject changed: was Noob Question(maybe) -- MrProgrammer 
Attachments
Untitled.png
Open Office 4.1.6 on Widows 10
MrProgrammer

Re: Sum comma-separated numbers in Writer

Post by MrProgrammer »

bfunk1987 wrote:Ill explain tho, the first column is the prices, the second column is the amount of items(which are several values) and the last column is the total for each row. So what I need to happen first is everything in the second column added together. Then multiply that by the first column which would go in the third column. Then everything in the last column added together in the final row. Is this possible?
Writer has very limited ability to perform numeric calculations. It cannot add the comma-separated values in your second column. However you could select each cell in the second column and use Table → Convert → Text to Table → Separate at → Other → , → OK. Now you have the numbers in separate cells of a sub-table and can use a formula to add them, then multiply by the value in the first column. See Writer Guide: Working with Tables Using Spreadsheet Functions in a Table.
201906201722.odt
(14.18 KiB) Downloaded 106 times
You may find this task easier to accomplish this in Calc, which is designed to perform numeric calculations. If you have further questions about Calc, open a topic in that forum.

If this solved your problem please go to your first post use the Edit button and add [Solved] to the start of the title. You can select the green checkmark icon at the same time.
Mr. Programmer
AOO 4.1.7 Build 9800, MacOS 13.6.3, iMac Intel.   The locale for any menus or Calc formulas in my posts is English (USA).
Zizi64
Volunteer

Re: Sum comma-separated numbers in Writer

Post by Zizi64 »

In a few words: Wrong tool was chosen for a bad data structure.

Use the Calc, and type-in the data values into separate cells.
Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO7.5.8 /Win7-10 x64Prof.
PortableApps/winPenPack: LO3.3.0-7.6.2;AOO4.1.14
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.