[Solved+Issue] How to print odd pages only (100+ pages doc)

Discuss the word processor
ferroburak

[Solved+Issue] How to print odd pages only (100+ pages doc)

Post by ferroburak »

Welcome beginner. What is your question or comment?
Please try to briefly and clearly tell us: What you want, What you tried, and What happened.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

How can I print odd pages only (for a 100+ pages document)? Thanks in advance.
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Wed Sep 03, 2008 11:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: tagged the thread as Solved.
OOo 2.4.X on Ms Windows XP
foxcole
Volunteer

Re: How to print odd pages only (for a 100+ pages document)

Post by foxcole »

ferroburak wrote:How can I print odd pages only (for a 100+ pages document)? Thanks in advance.
Does your File> Print dialog Options button in the lower left corner? If so, look in the middle section, Printer Options, where you should be able to select just "right pages" to print odd-numbered pages.
Cheers!
---Fox

OOo 3.2.0 Portable, Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
Dave

Post by Dave »

I don't think this is an OpenOffice problem, but is governed by your particular printer dialogue and driver. I have two printers, and the printer dialogue, with such options as printing Odd/Even, or specified pages, one or both sides, one or more pages to a sheet. Each dialogue is different and specific to that printer.

David.
foxcole
Volunteer

Post by foxcole »

Dave wrote:I don't think this is an OpenOffice problem, but is governed by your particular printer dialogue and driver. I have two printers, and the printer dialogue, with such options as printing Odd/Even, or specified pages, one or both sides, one or more pages to a sheet. Each dialogue is different and specific to that printer.
That would have been my answer too, but everyone has the options I'm talking about... it's the same place where you'd have to choose the Brochure setting to print books and pamphlets. It has left page and right page options too.
Cheers!
---Fox

gobetno

Post by gobetno »

why not just have that option available when you select print. It get really tedious having to click options and selecting right or left. I find it more convenient if odd/even is in with the print dialog when I am printing on both sides of the paper.

While I don't use MS Office anymore and have stuck with OpenOffice.org for many years now, so why not have the option to print odd or even pages available when you select print, instead of having to choose options and the right or left.

regards
foxcole
Volunteer

Post by foxcole »

gobetno wrote:why not just have that option available when you select print. It get really tedious having to click options and selecting right or left. I find it more convenient if odd/even is in with the print dialog when I am printing on both sides of the paper.

While I don't use MS Office anymore and have stuck with OpenOffice.org for many years now, so why not have the option to print odd or even pages available when you select print, instead of having to choose options and the right or left.
We're just other users here -- it's a user-to-user forum -- so we can't really answer to why any of the design decisions were made. All we can do is help others to use the software as it exists today.

Whenever you have a request or opinion, search the IssueTracker and see if you can find it already on file. If it is, you should register and vote for it, if it's not already scheduled for release.
41118 - printing of even and odd pages (add odd/even to left/right-pages string in UI)
That issue is only targeted for "OOo later" so you could add your vote and comments. I'm surprised it's not a higher priority, since so many people do not have duplex printers and do print only one side at a time.
Cheers!
---Fox

captorx

Re: [Solved+Issue] How to print odd pages only (100+ pages doc)

Post by captorx »

Of course this a deficiency of OpenOffice not a problem of the printer driver. Many new printers don't have that option of able/disable right/left pages. Furthermore, maybe you just want to print a part of the document not all of it and you don't want to change your Printer Settings each time you want to print a document. It's too much easier doing this from Print Dialog like in most applications. I love OpenOffice because it's FREE and it's powerful but definitively Microsoft Word has a better Print Dialog Box. I hope the next release of OpenOffice.org will have this function added! :|
OOo 2.4.X on MS Windows Vista + Ubuntu
foxcole
Volunteer

Re: [Solved+Issue] How to print odd pages only (100+ pages doc)

Post by foxcole »

captorx wrote:Of course this a deficiency of OpenOffice not a problem of the printer driver. Many new printers don't have that option of able/disable right/left pages. Furthermore, maybe you just want to print a part of the document not all of it and you don't want to change your Printer Settings each time you want to print a document. It's too much easier doing this from Print Dialog like in most applications. I love OpenOffice because it's FREE and it's powerful but definitively Microsoft Word has a better Print Dialog Box. I hope the next release of OpenOffice.org will have this function added! :|
Be careful of terminology here, because it's easy to confuse people who are not familiar with how OpenOffice print settings work. (That's confusing enough as it is.) There is a File> "Printer Settings" menu selection in OpenOffice. These settings become the default settings for a document, and can be temporarily overridden by choosing File> Print and changing the print options. In both places you'll find the Options button I mentioned, which contains Brochure and left pages/right pages selections. We've already noted that the location of some print settings are inconvenient for many users. The link I provided is where you should add your comments (you'll need to register there since it's a separate site)... and consider voting for the issue to raise its popularity and perhaps therefore help increase its priority ranking.
Cheers!
---Fox