Single file flashed open and closes

Discuss setup / installation issues - Add a spell checker, Language pack?
hkw

Single file flashed open and closes

Post by hkw »

I had an older version of Apache Open Office and just upgraded to the latest version today because I had a single file that would open and then quickly close.
The upgrade didn't fix the problem. I can open other files.

I hope there's a simple solution to this. I've uploaded the file to see if that helps someone troubleshoot the problem.

Thanks!

Helen
Attachments
#3 black,red, white.2.doc.odt
(86.11 KiB) Downloaded 162 times
Open Office 4.1.6
Windows 10
RusselB

Re: Single file flashed open and closes

Post by RusselB »

Welcome to the Forums.
Thank you for attaching the document, but I was able to download and open the document with no problems, so I'm sorry to say I have no idea why you are getting the problem you are reporting.
One option that fixes most problems that seem to be unreproducible, is to reset your OpenOffice User Profile.
The process of installing OpenOffice does not create a new profile, unless there is no current profile.
See [Tutorial] The OpenOffice User Profile for more information about resetting your user profile.
OpenOffice 4.1.7, LibreOffice 7.0.1.2 on Windows 7 Pro, Ultimate & Windows 10 Home (2004)
If you believe your problem has been resolved, please go to your first post in this topic, click the Edit button and add [Solved] to the beginning of the Subject line.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Another possible cause may be a left-over OpenOffice process. Start TaskManager (Ctrl Shift Esc) and kill all soffice processes shown on TM's tabs. Note the initial "s" in "soffice".
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
hkw

Post by hkw »

OK. I looked under Task Manager > Services and didn't see " soffice".

I also changed the user file in OpenOffice and tried to open the file. It still didn't work.

I then tried "Still not fixed: a dev seems to have recently found the root cause: close OpenOffice (including the Quickstarter) and in the user profile, go to the folder /user/extensions/bundled/. Rename the files extensions.pmap and extensions.db (if they do exist). Restart OpenOffice and see if there is any improvement."
I didn't have any files called extensions to rename to extensions.pmap and extensions.db.

Any other ideas? Ugh!!
Open Office 4.1.6
Windows 10
RusselB

Post by RusselB »

When you reset the user profile, were you asked for your name/initials? If not, then you didn't reset it. The profile is a folder, not a single file.
Are you opening the file by double clicking on it, or using File -> Open inside OpenOffice? Which ever one you're trying, try the other. In theory there shouldn't be a difference, but I'm not willing to say there isn't a difference.
OpenOffice 4.1.7, LibreOffice 7.0.1.2 on Windows 7 Pro, Ultimate & Windows 10 Home (2004)
If you believe your problem has been resolved, please go to your first post in this topic, click the Edit button and add [Solved] to the beginning of the Subject line.
hkw

Post by hkw »

I renamed the folder. I wasn't asked for a login but I'm the admin. Just me using the computer.
I sent the file to a friend and asked her to export as a pdf. I then converted the pdf to a word doc and was able to work on it. The file is now .docx vs .odt. I don't know of that's the difference but it works.
Open Office 4.1.6
Windows 10
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

hkw wrote:I renamed the folder. I wasn't asked for a login but I'm the admin. Just me using the computer.
I sent the file to a friend and asked her to export as a pdf. I then converted the pdf to a word doc and was able to work on it. The file is now .docx vs .odt. I don't know of that's the difference but it works.
Whether you were the admin or not, the test of a successful delete of the OO User Profile is that on next startup OO asks you to identify yourself, so that it knows who owns the files. If it doesn't do that, then your attempt to delete the OO User Profile was not correct and did not in fact delete it.

Your file opened for me with no problem. Working through PDF, then to a Word document, and then to .docx, is going round the houses. Be aware that OO does not write to .docx (.doc is OKish). LibreOffice does make mistakes and can damage .docx files, which are often repairable, but there can be no guarantee of repair in all cases.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
hkw

Post by hkw »

So, how do you get OO to ask for ID? Again, I changed the folder name, not the file.
Open Office 4.1.6
Windows 10
YODA

Post by YODA »

Openoffice4.16 on windows 10 Libreoffice Version: 6.1.3.2 (x64)
RusselB

Post by RusselB »

Which is the exact topic I linked to in my first reply.
robleyd

Post by robleyd »

I changed the folder name, not the file.
What was the original full path and name of the directory (folder) that you changed? It would be something like C:/Users/yourusername/AppData/Roaming/OpenOffice/4/user ?
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
LibreOffice 24.2.1.2; SlackBuild for 24.2.1 by Eric Hameleers