Bad allocation message in Writer

Issues with installing under all versions of MS Windows
giv

Bad allocation message in Writer

Post by giv »

latest OO 4.1.6 on Windows 10
Issue: Yesterday and today I'm typing in Writer as always but it's crashing
with the message "Bad Allocation."
Nothing appears to have changed EXCEPT for "install" of microsoft office...yesterday (hmm).

MONTHS ago it was happening frequently and after HOURS lost to online comments
on the same issue, the option I chose was to uninstall Microsoft's latest update.
Voila' -- OO worked...
Someone that round wrongly blamed OO, "concluding" they were buying microsoft office
instead of fairly giving OO (and other apps that crash frm microsoft invasions) to do
FORCED alterations to be compatible AGAIN with another microsoft version.

Increasing distress, lost work time, and quality life. This time I DK what to do as I prefer
OO and another user on this doesn't want microsoft office uninstalled -- and "IT" won't allow
control of what IT is doing and when. Whack-a-moling
open office 4.1.5 on windows 10 home
RusselB

Re: Bad allocation message in Writer

Post by RusselB »

Welcome to the Forums.
I admit that you seem to have a conundrum.
One option that you might consider, is letting the other person have their M$Office, and you work with a portable version of OpenOffice that has been installed to a flash drive.
That way you still get the access to OpenOffice (or at least, as long as you remember to put the drive in), and the other person still gets their preference.
In theory, both office suites should be able to reside on the same system, but the one that was installed last will be the default for the relevant file extensions. Of course, there is a way to override that, and that is detailed in one of the Tutorials in the Tutorials section.

Another option is to check what has been installed recently via the Windows Updates.. There have been a number of reports saying that OpenOffice has stopped working properly after a Windows 10 update, and it was determined that the update was the problem.
To my knowledge, the current recommendation is to suggest that you ensure that Windows 10 has successfully installed all current updates. Please note that, if an update fails to install, then a subsequent update to that update may also fail, yet appear to be successful. If it's been a while since a full update of you OS was done, then the updates can take quite some time, thus I would suggest doing this during a time when the system wouldn't normally be in use.
OpenOffice 4.1.7, LibreOffice 7.0.1.2 on Windows 7 Pro, Ultimate & Windows 10 Home (2004)
If you believe your problem has been resolved, please go to your first post in this topic, click the Edit button and add [Solved] to the beginning of the Subject line.
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

Search the forums with allocation for numerous posts.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
AOOisdead
Banned

Post by AOOisdead »

Just install Libreoffice and save yourself the headache.
Libreoffice 6.2.2