[Solved] Transfer to new PC

Talk about anything at all....
mikeymad

[Solved] Transfer to new PC

Post by mikeymad »

I just got a new computer and want to move some spreadsheets I use from the old computer to the new one so I won't have to do them all over again. What files do I copy and from/to the new computer?
Thanks...
Michael
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Sat Jun 15, 2019 1:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: tagged solved
OpenOffice 4.1.6 on Windows 10
RoryOF

Re: Transfer to new PC

Post by RoryOF »

Such files should be of type .ods or .xls; Writer files are .odt or .doc. Simply copy these to a USB stick and be careful to observe the USB removal protocols.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
mikeymad

Post by mikeymad »

What folder would they be located and what folder would I copy them to?
Thanks!
keme
Volunteer

Post by keme »

mikeymad wrote:What folder would they be located and what folder would I copy them to?
Thanks!
They should be in the "Documents" folder, or a subfolder of that. If you received it by mail it is not unlikely that you have them in the "Downloads" folder or on your desktop. If you received them via USB storage or CD/DVD, they may have ended up on your desktop. Those are the most likely locations. There are also folders designated for images, videos, and perhaps other kinds of files, but the designated folder for Office files is "Documents". I suggest you move any documents you find elsewhere into "Documents", and organize them into subfolders if needed. Drag the entire Documents folder to the USB storage.
mikeymad

Post by mikeymad »

Thank you
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

As keme says, these files should be in the Documents folder, if nothing has been done to change their destination. But it is _your_ computer and _you_ are the user. We cannot know where you have managed to store your documents, any more than we can say where in your house you keep your mportant documents.

Use the system File Search to look for all documents of the types I have listed, and, as keme advises, move them to the one folder. Then transfer this folder to your new computer. Above all, make sure you use the operating system's protocol for safe removal of a USB device!
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS