[Solved] Open Office suddenly started crashing

Discuss setup / installation issues - Add a spell checker, Language pack?
JohnTho

[Solved] Open Office suddenly started crashing

Post by JohnTho »

Hi,

I've been using Open Office 4.1.2 ever since it was released without problems until the last few days. I only have Swriter and Sdraw installed. Now a few seconds after I launch either of them I get a message that OpenOffice has crashed and offering to recover the file (Untitled_1). If I cancel the recover it returns to Untitled_1 then crashes again. If I manage to open an existing file before the crash it offers to recover both of them.

Edit: From launch to crash takes about 20 to 25 seconds and it will happen even if the machine is completely untouched during this period.

The first thing I tried was the repair option in the installer. This didn't work so I used Revo uninstaller to completely remove 4.1.2 and then reinstalled from the original downloads. This didn't work either so in desperation I again removed it with Revo Uninstaller then downloaded and installed version 4.1.6. This does exactly the same thing and I'm now at a loss where to go next.

Nothing's changed on the PC as far as I'm aware, no Windows updates have been done for several months. This issue has just appeared out of the blue. I'd be most grateful for any suggestions.
Last edited by thomasjk on Wed Jun 12, 2019 4:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Mark thread [Solved] and add green checkmark
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.2 on Windows 7 Professional SP1
John_Ha
Volunteer

Re: Open Office suddenly started crashing

Post by John_Ha »

Strange problems are sometimes fixed by resetting the profile - see Resetting the user profile.

Also try booting in Safe Mode (google it). Does that stop the crashing?
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
JohnTho

Re: Open Office suddenly started crashing

Post by JohnTho »

Thank you so much! Resetting the profile has fixed the problem. What a relief!

:super: :super:
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.2 on Windows 7 Professional SP1