[Solved] Button highlight colors too dark to read «Q47»

Issues installing under the Mac OSX - X11 - Aqua
AlanKtucson

[Solved] Button highlight colors too dark to read «Q47»

Post by AlanKtucson »

When opening any window to change document settings all Buttons are either Black text on Black background or Blue on Blue.
VERY hard to read and I'd like to change them. They either look like this or Black on Black;
Mac 15" Retina, OS 10.14.5, Light color scheme in Sys Prefs.

Thank you, Alan Kearney
Last edited by AlanKtucson on Mon Jun 03, 2019 3:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
OpenOffice 4.1.6 MacOS 10.14.5
MrProgrammer

Re: Button highlight colors too dark to read

Post by MrProgrammer »

Hi, and welcome to the forum.
AlanKtucson wrote:Buttons are either Black text on Black background or Blue on Blue. VERY hard to read and I'd like to change them.
You may be able to adjust the contrast a bit; [Tutorial] Mac FAQ Q47/A47

If this solved your problem please go to your first post use the Edit button and add [Solved] to the start of the title. You can select the green checkmark icon at the same time.
Mr. Programmer
AOO 4.1.7 Build 9800, MacOS 13.6.3, iMac Intel.   The locale for any menus or Calc formulas in my posts is English (USA).
AlanKtucson

Post by AlanKtucson »

No joy after clearing Font Cache. That was the only tip in your link that was remotely related to problem.
Thanks anyway.
robleyd

Post by robleyd »

When I follow MrProgrammer's link and look at A47 it refers me to Q15/A15 which has a number of suggestions about contrast and colours; I'll repeat it here:
Q15: Does OpenOffice run on MacOS 10.12 and later?
A15: Yes, but on some of Apple's hardware you may need to set:
•  → System Preferences → Displays → uncheck Increase contrast → Move slider for Display Contrast all the way to the left.
•  → System Preferences → Displays → Colors → Apple RGB (or Generic RGB) (you may have to uncheck Show profiles for this display only), or
•  → System Preferences → Energy Saver → uncheck Automatic graphics switching, or
•  → System Preferences → Accessibility → Display → {experiment with these settings to discover what works best for you}.
System Preferences are set individually for each user so if your Mac has more than one account, you will want to adjust these settings for every user. Preferences for the Guest User are set to defaults each time you log in, so you will need to adjust these settings each time. Also see Q39/A39.
Have you tried those suggestions?
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
LibreOffice 24.2.1.2; SlackBuild for 24.2.1 by Eric Hameleers
AlanKtucson

Post by AlanKtucson »

David, thanks again. The 'increase contrast' in OS 10.14.5 is located in Sys Prefs > Accessibility > Display. I had looked in Sys Prefs > Displays before but nothing there.
Anyway, I'm very happy to report that 'unchecking' Increase Contrast makes the Blue less intense and the Black text much easier to read :)

It's a Global change so I'll have to see if I like it for everything but so far that's made the issue much easier to deal with!
I'll report that this is Solved for my needs. Thanks again.

Alan
MrProgrammer

Re: [Solved] Button highlight colors too dark to read

Post by MrProgrammer »

AlanKtucson wrote:The 'increase contrast' in OS 10.14.5 is located in Sys Prefs > Accessibility > Display.
Thank you. I've updated Mac FAQ A15 with that information.
Mr. Programmer
AOO 4.1.7 Build 9800, MacOS 13.6.3, iMac Intel.   The locale for any menus or Calc formulas in my posts is English (USA).