From Power Point to Impress

Discuss the presentation application
DBrodeur

From Power Point to Impress

Post by DBrodeur »

I had a PPt presentation that was almost done, I had to change computer (mine died) and I didn't have PowerPoint anymore. I am trying OpenOffice 4.1.6. When I opened my document in Impress, all the images where gone (I can understand that, the links were all wrong since I change computer.) So 1 by one I reopen all the images (jpg) in Impress but it keeps crashing. I get the message "bad allocation fatal error"
So I save every move I make to not redo it all every time, and it still crashing and when I reopen some of the images (that were saved!) are not there again...

SO far I had to reopen some of the images 4 times...

Is this a known problem and is there a fix to it?

Thank you!
DB
OpenOffice 4.1.6 on Windows 10
RusselB

Re: From Power Point to Impress

Post by RusselB »

Welcome to the Forums.
This is a known problem, but there is no guaranteed fix.
A search of the forum for that error message brings up your post, and an additional 11 posts.
Some steps that may help include resetting your OpenOffice User Profile, as described here, restarting your computer in Safe Mode and running OpenOffice in Safe Mode, switching from OpenOffice to LibreOffice.
I'm going to suggest that you try these, one at a time, and see if you have any better luck.
OpenOffice 4.1.7, LibreOffice 7.0.1.2 on Windows 7 Pro, Ultimate & Windows 10 Home (2004)
If you believe your problem has been resolved, please go to your first post in this topic, click the Edit button and add [Solved] to the beginning of the Subject line.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

With Windows 10 there was at least one update to Win 10 that caused instability of OpenOffice. This was cured with later updates, so I suggest that you tell Win 10 to fully update, verify that there are no outstanding updates, and try OO again.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
Bidouille
Volunteer

Post by Bidouille »

A workaround is to use Powerpoint Online [1]
And download a copy exported as ODP

[1] https://office.live.com/start/PowerPoint.aspx
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

There is a known problem with OO suddenly losing images. I have found a method which seems to cure this for me; I have only tested this method extensively on Xubuntu, but in the dim distant past, when I used Windows (10 years ago), I recollect that it also worked on it. The method is to use /Tools /Options /Load-Save /General and uncheck "Save AutoRecovery information every ...". It now becomes your reesponsibility to Save your file more frequently, preferably using timed/dated backups. The extension you can download from
viewtopic.php?p=406045#p405921
helps with that process.
Note that you must invoke it separately using its button; it does not replace the standard save mechanism.

This fix may or may not work for you - I offer it in goodwill - I have just completed preparation of a 100 slide presentation, incorporating about 200 images and taking 38 hours editing, with no loss of images, so I am content that it works for me on my equipment.

LibreOffice have recently expended €44k on having the problem fixed by recoding, so you could switch to that if you wished.
DBrodeur

Post by DBrodeur »

Thank you, I will look into it. Hope it's going to work.
Danielle
DBrodeur

Post by DBrodeur »

RusselB wrote:Welcome to the Forums.
This is a known problem, but there is no guaranteed fix.
A search of the forum for that error message brings up your post, and an additional 11 posts.
Some steps that may help include resetting your OpenOffice User Profile, as described here, restarting your computer in Safe Mode and running OpenOffice in Safe Mode, switching from OpenOffice to LibreOffice.
I'm going to suggest that you try these, one at a time, and see if you have any better luck.
Thank you for your help. I will try one of these.
Danielle
DBrodeur

Post by DBrodeur »

Bidouille wrote:A workaround is to use Powerpoint Online [1]
And download a copy exported as ODP

[1] https://office.live.com/start/PowerPoint.aspx
Oh! I didn't know that. That should let me edit it after I download or I better edit online and download when everything is done...
Thanks!
Danielle
DBrodeur

Post by DBrodeur »

RoryOF wrote:With Windows 10 there was at least one update to Win 10 that caused instability of OpenOffice. This was cured with later updates, so I suggest that you tell Win 10 to fully update, verify that there are no outstanding updates, and try OO again.
I just got my computer last week (needed to be replaced) so I'm pretty sure it's up to date. But I will check. Thank you!
Danielle
DBrodeur

Post by DBrodeur »

I was wondering if this problem is related... some of the images I am adding in the presentation are changing colors, most of them are fine but for some reason some others are way off. FYI they are all jpg.
If it's not related I will post another topic. Please let me know. Thank you!
Danielle
* attached file
Attachments
Difference between the colors in File Explorer and in Impress.
Difference between the colors in File Explorer and in Impress.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

I can't answer for colour changes - most of my images are tif, png or jpg and their colour rendering seems quite accurate - at least to onscreen or projection viewing without careful colour measurement. I am aware that there are different forms of internal coding for jpg.