Calc crashing problems on two computers

Discuss setup / installation issues - Add a spell checker, Language pack?
Lynn7007

Calc crashing problems on two computers

Post by Lynn7007 »

I use the calc portion of office 4.1.6 a lot. After working anywhere between 30-60 minutes, the program crashes. Suddenly can't enter anything; can't even hit either X to close current program. Must re-start computer, the "recover" documents I'm working on. I'm now saving every 5 minutes which is a pain, but better than re-entering info. This happens on my old lap-top and my brand new HP Envy lap top. Have tried deleting and re-enstalling program on both computers. Same result, crashes after using for a time. Very inconsistent. Have latesst version of Windows 10 and use Webroot SecureAnywhere provided by BestBuy Geek Squad. FYI - it doesn't matter whether I shut my computer down after every use (daily), or leave it on for a week or more, then it will go to sleep, etc.
OpenOffice 4.1.2 on Windows 10
Lynn7007

Re: constant crashing problems

Post by Lynn7007 »

How do I run windows in safe mode?

If there is a program running in the background, how do I determine which one it is? Same quesstion if it is a driver? What do I do with the bad program or driver. Sometimes they can't be removed, especially on a new computer.
OpenOffice 4.1.2 on Windows 10
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

I can't answer for modern versions of Windows, but Safe Mode used be invoked by pressing F8 key when the "Starting Windows" message appeared onscreen.
 Edit: Safe mode can be started as set out in
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/hel ... -safe-mode 
If the OpenOffice runs stable in Safe Mode it is a matter of detective work to find the culprit; obvious candidates are the antivirus, the firewall, any continuous backup utility; OO particularly does not like its files, whether of OO itself or of its data, being touched while OO is using them.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Lynn7007 wrote:I use the calc portion of office 4.1.6 a lot. After working anywhere between 30-60 minutes, the program crashes. Suddenly can't enter anything; can't even hit either X to close current program. Must re-start computer, the "recover" documents I'm working on.
That symptom suggests a memory leak; if you can run a system monitoring program alongside OpenOffice, you may observe the memory usage increase constantly. If so, you need to find what is causing that. My initial thinking is that it might be Webroot SecureAnywhere which you say you are using.

To test if that is the culprit, turn off your internet router (for safety), disable Webroot SecureAnywhere, and see if the problem persists. If not, you have found the culprit and need to change (or perhaps adjust settings) in that application.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

Strange problems are sometimes fixed by resetting the profile - see Resetting the user profile.

And is it a crash, where the entire program disappears?

Or a hang, where the program stops responding but the program window remains there?

Try disabling Windows Defender - see the Tutorial about problems it causes on W10.

See Re: OpenOffice crashing multiple times a day for advice on isolating the problem program when Safe Mode fixes it.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.