[Solved] Check for Updates feature fails

Discuss setup / installation issues - Add a spell checker, Language pack?
DOBRESCUMihai19
Location: Bucharest, România, South-Eastern Europe, Northern Hemisphere.

Re: [Issue] Check for Updates feature fails

Post by DOBRESCUMihai19 »

kbellis wrote:Not that I'm overly bugged by it, but have there been any updates on this updates bug? I noticed it still present in oo v4.1.6.
|
+___Hi, "Kelly".
|
+___After Numerous Digging Interventions related to this Issue, we have decided to choose "The Document Foundation" "LibreOffice" Desktop Software Suite that apparently is a Fork of the "Apache" "OpenOffice" Desktop Software Suite.
|
+___"LibreOffice" does not seem to have these kinds of Issues. The Cross-Platform Open-Sourced Software Applications should be able to be compiled, configured and run on any kind of Software Architecture. In reality, they are not that flexible.
|
+___Still, if you get used to them, then you may use them both on the Olden "Microsoft" "Windows" Family of Operating Systems and on your favorite "Linux" Distributions, such as the "Ubuntu" Distributions.
|
+___Our Approach has also been to subscribe to the "Microsoft" "Windows" "Office 365" Monthly Channelled-Desktop Software Suite. The Idea is that they work on a Personal Computing Triad made of a Laptop Personal Computer, a Tablet Personal Computer and a SmartPhone. They are still under a Continuous and Utterly Hazardous Software Development Process.
|
+___Also, the Proud "Microsoft" "Windows" "Office 365" "OutLook" Electronic Mail Client/Desktop Software Application is sometimes taking around Two Proud Minutes (!) in order to load itself, with all of its Add-ons, such as the "Symantec" "Norton Anti-Spam" Add-on and the "Grammarly" Add-on. Under these circumstances, what can one talk about Performance?
|
+___Our General Impression is that the current Information Technology and Telecommunications World is Completely Schizophrenic. Twenty Years Ago, it was much, much easier to maintain a Yearly Versioning System or a Trimester-Sectioned Versioning System.
|
+___These days, the "Update" Term seems to confuse each and everyone so that everybody is continuously Updating, Installing, Reinstalling and Reconfiguring the same thing over and over again, for no apparent gain. Where has this "Update" Term surfaced from? From the Army? Are we preparing for some kind of War?
|
+___In short, if something does not appear to be working, then just wait for a year or so and then try again. Maybe then it will work.
|
+___UPDATE: In our humble opinion, the Wikipedia Online Encyclopædia is basically just a Bunch of Random Ideas written by anyone who has access to a Personal Computer Keyboard.
|
+___Still, we were quite curious about their view upon the Update Term. On this occasion, we have read Yet Another Useless Article, without being able to reach any Definite Conclusion upon the Possible Cause of the Current Overall, World-Wide Schizophrenic Updating Process.
|
+___Furthermore, we have found Yet Another Piece of Useless Information, the one referring to the Fact that the "Apache Server" Name was originally a Pun coming from the "a patchy server" Expression:
|
+___
The Apache HTTP Server originally evolved as a number of patches that Brian Behlendorf collated to improve NCSA HTTPd, hence a name that implies that it is a collection of patches ("a patchy server").
|
+___The Abovementioned Article consists mainly of a Bunch of Information Technology Term Definitions. In reality, the Current Updating Process is more or less a Random Process of Additions and Changes that are far away from what once used to be a Sane, Consolidated Release Process.
"Microsoft" "Windows" "10" "April Update" 1803 Operating System Build 17134.472 (x64).

"LibreOffice" 6.1.3.2 (x64).

"Microsoft" "Windows" "Office 365" Monthly Channel (x64).
robleyd

Post by robleyd »

UPDATE: In our humble opinion, the Wikipedia Online Encyclopædia is basically just a Bunch of Random Ideas written by anyone who has access to a Personal Computer Keyboard
Apparently this is not restricted just to Wikipedia...
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
LibreOffice 24.2.1.2; SlackBuild for 24.2.1 by Eric Hameleers
DOBRESCUMihai19
Location: Bucharest, România, South-Eastern Europe, Northern Hemisphere.

Post by DOBRESCUMihai19 »

robleyd wrote:Apparently, this is not restricted just to Wikipedia...
|
+___Here, "robleyd", let us help you: this is The Other Cheek: ;) Slap this one also, please.
"Microsoft" "Windows" "10" "April Update" 1803 Operating System Build 17134.472 (x64).

"LibreOffice" 6.1.3.2 (x64).

"Microsoft" "Windows" "Office 365" Monthly Channel (x64).
r l

Post by r l »

Over a year and still not fixed! ...

Oh and it's not a dead project because 4.1.6 has since been released in the meantime and 4.1.5 doesn't detect it. "Checking for an update failed." "Error reading data from the Internet. Server error message: ."
Open Office 4.1.6 on Windows 10
Lang1952

Post by Lang1952 »

DOBRESCUMihai19 wrote:
robleyd wrote:For information, this issue has been reported as a bug
Dear Members of the "OpenOffice" Community Forum,

Dear Members of the Team of Moderators of the "OpenOffice" Community Forum,

On the Fated Date of Friday, April 06, 2018, at precisely 10:14 P.M., I have started Another Thread about This Issue.

Now I am discovering in Utter Amazement that This Issue had already been proudly reported on Another Fated Date of Thursday, March 08, 2018, at precisely 12:37 A.M., on This Thread. It is difficult to be original these days, while living among Seven Billion Brains who are currently roaming around our Planet.

This Forum has surely not been designed in order to be intended to be used as an Issue Tracking Tool and yet I am sure that there can be found a way to mark my Thread as a Duplicate of This Thread. Although not everybody is interested in Software Development Field, this action might prove useful to those who are concerned by this Field.

Generally, I have found a Simple Solution for solving These Kinds of Problems: simply disable the Updating Systems. For most of the Software Applications, it is quite easy to perform such an action, while for Operating Systems it can be a little bit trickier. Recently, I have managed to disable the Updating System of the "Microsoft" "Windows" 10 Operating System, only to discover after a while that they have managed to re-enable it back somehow. The "Microsoft" Corporation is moving in mysterious ways these days.

Best Regards,
DOBRESCU_Mihai,
"United_D.M.! - Software for the Future"
I am having this problem and yes the windows one as well. MS restart the updates every time they run and it is really annoying, I have them stopped because I am fed up with having to re-install my software every time theirs goes wrong 4 times and counting, switched them off again.
YODA

Post by YODA »

For reporting Bugs or Suggestions to the Devs go here: viewtopic.php?f=74&t=13490
Openoffice4.16 on windows 10 Libreoffice Version: 6.1.3.2 (x64)
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Lang1952 wrote:
I am having this problem and yes the windows one as well. MS restart the updates every time they run and it is really annoying, I have them stopped because I am fed up with having to re-install my software every time theirs goes wrong 4 times and counting, switched them off again.
It is your decision what operating system you use. Many volunteers on this forum have changed to some distro of linux. But that would be your decision to make, depending on your computer abiities.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
Lang1952

Post by Lang1952 »

Agreed, Windows comes bundled with most laptops, but my new machine will be an high end server and Ubuntu will be my choice again.
r l

Post by r l »

r l wrote:Over a year and still not fixed! ...

Oh and it's not a dead project because 4.1.6 has since been released in the meantime and 4.1.5 doesn't detect it. "Checking for an update failed." "Error reading data from the Internet. Server error message: ."
4.1.7. is now out, but I had to look it up manually because still no-one has bothered to fix the Check For Updates bug.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

r l wrote:
r l wrote:Over a year and still not fixed! ...

4.1.7. is now out, but I had to look it up manually because still no-one has bothered to fix the Check For Updates bug.
Et tu, Brute.
happyticker
Banned

Post by happyticker »

Had the same problem in updating [url=https://fileswin.com/openoffice/]openoffice on windows 10[/url] and forced to [url=https://softati.com/openoffice-free-download/]download latest fresh version[/url].
Last edited by robleyd on Fri Feb 14, 2020 1:49 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Disable links to unofficial download sites
[url=httpxs://softati.com/openoffice-free-download/]OpenOffice[/url] 4.1.7 on Windows 10 64 bit ..
RusselB

Post by RusselB »

Even when the Check for Updates worked, it still just notified you that an update was available.
You still had to download the full product and install it manually.
OpenOffice 4.1.7, LibreOffice 7.0.1.2 on Windows 7 Pro, Ultimate & Windows 10 Home (2004)
If you believe your problem has been resolved, please go to your first post in this topic, click the Edit button and add [Solved] to the beginning of the Subject line.
r l

Post by r l »

Coming up for 2 years, still not fixed, embarrassing.
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

OpenOffice is almost dead. No need to be notified about almost nothing once in a year.
Switch to LibreOffice which was forked from OpenOffice in 2011. Versions 3.3 were identical products back then. LibreOffice is updated on a regular basis. It is maintained and supported by professional coders and hundreds of volunteers. Latest version is 6.4, the more conservative predecessor 6.3 is maintained with bugfixes as well. Version 7.0 will be the next version scheduled for beginning of next year. Among hundreds of other things, LO has a working version notification (as far as I know. I turned off the notification on Windows PCs because I don't want to confuse our co-workers with needless info. I am the one who takes care of upgrades).
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
r l

Post by r l »

LibreOffice check for updates doesn't work either. I have 6.2, it says "LibreOffice 6.2 is up to date." But it's not.
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

r l wrote:LibreOffice check for updates doesn't work either. I have 6.2, it says "LibreOffice 6.2 is up to date." But it's not.
Which is true if your version is 6.2.8. Without knowing how the feature is designed, I would guess that it works as intended if the intention is to notifiy about bugfix releases of your current version. The OpenOffice updater does not work at all because there is no maintained server which could respond to the request.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
r l

Post by r l »

No it's not true, because there is a stable 6.3 release available. I have never encountered any product that only thinks bugfix versions of the same minor release number only count as a new release.

Furthermore I need functionality that opens Microsoft Access databases. LibreOffice crashes each time, whereas OpenOffice opens them up nicely, so it's wrong to just say oh abandon OpenOffice and use LibreOffice instead.
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

6.3 is a different version than 6.2 because of different feature sets. 6.2.8 is the same version that 6.2.0 would have been in an ideal world. Only bug fixes have been added to the minor versions but no features.
---------------------------------------------------------
LibreOffice handles MS Access databases well. One difference is that LibreOffice on Windows is 64-bit software whereas AOO remains 32-bit. If you are using a binary MS driver, it should be 64-bit software with LibreOffice (unless your system runs on 32-bit actually).
Apart from MS drivers, there is a platform independet JDBC driver https://sourceforge.net/projects/ucanaccess/files/ which requires 32-bit Java with OpenOffice on Windows and 64-bit Java with LibreOffice on Windows x64.
nrgeng

Post by nrgeng »

Problem: Check for Updates returns Error Message
OpenOffice 4.1.7: AOO417m1(Build:9800) - Rev. 46059c9192 2019-09-03 12:04
System: Win 10 Pro v1909, x64-based PC, 2.80GHz, 4.00 GB RAM

An error message is displayed in Writer after selecting Menu > Check for Updates. This same error occurred in v4.1.6.

Today I downloaded and installed v4.1.7 successfully but Check for Updates failed with the same Internet connection that provided the download just minutes before. I have attached a screenshot in evidence. Thanks for fixing this long-lasting problem issue.
Attachment: OpenOffice 4.1.7 Update Problem
OpenOffice 4.1.7 Update Problem.png
Ps. TurboTax Update functions, Win 10 Update functions, Avast Update functions. They all function without User C++ coding or entering the bowels of Win 10. Why then not in Writer? Just click, and it should check for updates like in all other software applications. This time being different is NG.
nrgeng
OpenOffice v4.1.6
Win 10 & Win 10 Pro
RusselB

Post by RusselB »

This is a known issue, and no one on these forums can do anything about it.
This is a server issue, not an OpenOffice issue.
I suspect, based on the length of time that this issue has been around, it will not get fixed anytime soon, if at all.
OpenOffice 4.1.7, LibreOffice 7.0.1.2 on Windows 7 Pro, Ultimate & Windows 10 Home (2004)
If you believe your problem has been resolved, please go to your first post in this topic, click the Edit button and add [Solved] to the beginning of the Subject line.
Zizi64
Volunteer

Post by Zizi64 »

An error message is displayed in Writer after selecting Menu > Check for Updates. This same error occurred in v4.1.6.
There is only one solution - if this feature is important for you: Change to LibreOffice.
Note: either of AOO nor LO softwares will not to update automatically. Only the "downloading the install file" will be happened. You must launch the installation procedure manually.
Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO7.5.8 /Win7-10 x64Prof.
PortableApps/winPenPack: LO3.3.0-7.6.2;AOO4.1.14
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
r l

Post by r l »

Still not fixed! And a new version (4.1.8) has just become available so clearly not a dead project.
robleyd

Post by robleyd »

The issue is stated to be fixed in 4.1.8
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
LibreOffice 24.2.1.2; SlackBuild for 24.2.1 by Eric Hameleers
r l

Re: [Solved] Check for Updates feature fails

Post by r l »

Fixed in 4.1.8. Wow we got there in the end.
markwrites

Post by markwrites »

I still have 4.15 so have the error. Can I download 4.19 manually install over 4.15 without losing any files
OO 4.1.15 on Windows 7 64 bit
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

There should be no problem in doing so.
RusselB

Post by RusselB »

markwrites wrote:I still have 4.15 so have the error. Can I download 4.19 manually install over 4.15 without losing any files
Yes
markwrites

Post by markwrites »

RusselB wrote:
markwrites wrote:I still have 4.15 so have the error. Can I download 4.19 manually install over 4.15 without losing any files
Yes
OK Thanks for that
OO 4.1.15 on Windows 7 64 bit